still new guy here

like i said in my previous posts, i dont know bugs very well yet, i had an easy question, how do you tell the difference between a super and a non? and how do you guys feel about a front disc brake conversion?

Reply to
Nick via CarKB.com

McPherson front suspension as opposed to torsion bar, and curved windshield (later models). Early model supers had the same flat windshield as the std bug. #1 difference is the suspension up front. From the windshield or dashboard back, they are the same.

VERY useful, HIGHLY recommended, and in my opinion, an absolute must if you plan on building a high performance engine. Oh yea, do the brake upgrade FIRST.

Drum brakes FADE under hard braking, and will be all but non-existant for MILES after that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What brakes would you recommend, Jan? There are quite a few kits out there and the prices vary quite a bit. I ask because after I get my frame all redone, I'd like to convert to discs as well.

Remco

Reply to
remco

if you can lock up all four, without fade, you're done. Doesn't matter if you have KILLER Brembo 17" brakes in there, or measly factory stock VW disc brakes.. if they lock up, the differences end righ there.

Stock VW disc brakes go a long way, they are quite enough for most needs. And spare parts are cheap, and easy to find.

In the US you are stuck to sourcing Ghias for suitable parts to (std) bugs, later model supers came with discs from the factory in many market areas.

In Europe, all 1500 bugs and 1600 bugs came stock with front discs.

if you took an all-drum bug and converted the front to discs, I would recommend putting type 3 backing plates and drums (and shoes) in the BACK to compensate for the considerably improved front braking power.

This is the cheap solution, and quite enough for just about anything. If you can't lock up all four with this, you need to go to the gym. :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

the reason i ask for just front conversion is because for the rear conversion it says the e-brake is no longer compatible, i kind of like my e-brake, where i live there is quite a bit of rolling hills. another thing, so are you saying you want to be able to lock all four up? is that safer then having just the front lock up? and the reason i ask about the difference between super and sadan is i just want to make sure my bug is super. its a 1973 beetle with a 1600.

Thanks, Super Nick < just made it up =) sounds good

Reply to
Super Nick via CarKB.com

don't drive anywhere without being able to lock all 4 wheels up with brake pedal.

very dangerous doing so. if any of the wheels are braking harder than the others, then you will go sideways and roll when it comes to slamming on the brakes to avoid someone pulling out in front of you.

RIch

Reply to
aiiadict

There are rear disc kits that have handbrake. You can also use Porsche parts front and rear and forget about chinese ping-pong quality parts.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson