vvt VS non vvt question?

I am planning to buy a used JDM avalon engine that is Non VVT-1. My first question is wether the orignal Avalon engine is vvt or non vvt? Will a non vvt engine be compatible with my 1996 avalon? Can some one tell me the differecen between vvt and non vvt? Is one better than the other, and if their a difference can one one tell me the difference. Do you guys recommend for me to get a non vvt over a vvt ot vise versa.

any info regarding my question, I will appreaciate.

Oscar

Reply to
osot

Hmmm....why are you looking at a JDM engine?

There is no guarantee that a JDM engine will meet US emissions specs, so you may have to spend more $$$ to get it up to standards.

That is one of the missions of the VVT-i engines. The other is, for the same amount of displacement, the VVT-i acts like a larger engine. It does this through Variable Valve Timing...adjusting the timing of the valves according to load, engine speed, etc. So, with the same displacement, the engine can produce more HP on demand.

If you've driven you Avalon with the VVT engine, you're probably aware of the 'kick in the pants' you receive when you press the accelerator at highr RPMs. That's the valve timing making adjustments.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is no VVT-1. There is VVT (variable valve timing) and VVT-i (variable valve timing with intelligence). Not to sound condescending, but an engine with VVT or VVT-i has variable valve timing and an engine without VVT has fixed valve timing. Besides performance, there are differences in the camshafts, head, and computer.

To answer your question, it would help to know where you are located. All other things being equal, VVT is better than no VVT and VVT-i is better than VVT.

Based on the questions you are asking, my recommendation is to get an exact specification replacement engine because the complexity and cost to change over will be more than the benefit. You will probably have to change the engine room harness, ECM, and a bunch of sensors.

Reply to
Ray O