Stooopid Torx trick..

Today I tried to get a snapped off bolt out of my daughter's impreza's torque converter.

I didn't want to heat it so just tried the reverse drill trick and an extractor tool - No joy. (those extractors don't really work for me -- they often snap off on me, sucking even more).

Getting frustrated, I hammered a torx bit into the drilled hole and it turned right out! Torx are slightly tapered, are very hard and happen to grab the edges of the hole really well. Maybe this is old trick - if it is, I'd never heard of it so thought I'd share it.

(If it is indeed an old trick, this must be what if feels like for a monkey to discover tools :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Good tip, I've used it one time in the past but had totally forgotten. Thanks

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The biggest single thing I've found to help in that situation is the hammering part. You can't hammer on an easy-out but you can, to a degree, on a torx or centerpunch. That supplies shock to the offending broken object and helps loosen it. You can also use a hammer-driver, after the proper amount of direct hammering relative to the frustration level, to add rotation to the action.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Good point. Mine hammered in very nicely. It actually took some pulling and twisting with pliers to get the offending bolt end off the torx bit after I took it out - Worked great.

Those easy outs are made out of pretty hard steel. I've snapped them in the past and those you can't drill out very easily at all.

Reply to
Remco