Stupid Question of the Week

Okay, so you have two different degreed pulleys: a Scat and a noname brand. They both check out like this: When the TDC mark is aligned with the top seam of the case, the engine is 180 degrees _OFF_ TDC. When you put BDC at the seam, #1 is at TDC.

Question: WTF?

Actually, it's a puzzle/quiz.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:15:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

This must be on that engine that *you* assembled. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:20:28 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Or... #1 might be at the top of it's stroke, but that on a 4-cycle engine it gets there twice during a "cycle" so you were not at the TDC where both valves were closed when you thought you were at TDC or something like that. Sorry, just opened my 5th or 6th beer and trying to watch the race while I type and "think" about this. :-) Something like that?

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:23:38 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I mean it was at the top of the exhaust stroke/just before intake stroke, so the piston was at the top of it's travel, but I thought about it a minute more and even then the crank would be positioned the same way it would just before the power stroke started/just after compression strock completes so nevermind. Are there any mirrors involved in this puzzle/quiz? :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:15:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) ran around screaming and yelling:

you need to flip the engine upright... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The cam is 180 degrees off?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

The camshaft turns at 1/2 the speed of the crank. No? So the cam could be

90 degrees off, or more or less 90 degrees. That's my latest stupid, tired-ass theory. :) Oh, forgot to mention - the engine runs.

Anyone else?

Reply to
J Stafford

The cam is always run at half crank speed. so in a static timing reading it will be either 180 out, or straight up, I admit I'm not a VW expert, though I have seen some engines that time up the sister cylinder in reference to number one, possibly explaining this odd pulley.

Reply to
Douglas

When the pulley is in TDC, the No 1 piston (right - front=flywheel side) should be at the top most of it's travel. It doesn't matter how you dialed the cam or even if you have a cam in there. The only way No 1 could be at BDC when the pulley is at TDC, is if you use an aftermarket crankshaft which has the key slot machined in the wrong side of the crank (180deggrees off).

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

John...

I checked all my engines with degree pulleys... they're all set up where TDC is TDC....

I'm guessing the crank or the pulley is a bit off... I've seen some Chineese pulleys that were really of.... the degrees were whereever the little 6 year old kids machined them... Next time I'm only buying pulleys that are made by

9 year olds or older.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

One of the pulleys is more than likely a Tiawan made piece of crap, and the Silk Screened timing marks or the keyway in the pulley is 180 deg out. I have a brand new aluminum pulley that I bought about 5 years ago off ebay that is like that.(guess that's why it was $5.00) Im saving it as a conversation piece or I might give it to an enemy of mine on his first engine rebuild.

Thanks, Butch

Reply to
Anton382