My stupid question of the week

As I work on my Jeep I find things that lead me to believe a PO had probably done a little work on it, like some heavy gauge wiring leading to the front bumper and not attached to anything, like maybe there were some big off-road lights there, a wire connected to the coil and running up to the steering column that I used for the tach I put in, like there was one there before... Starts to make me wonder about the AMC 20 rear-end. I looked and can tell by the diff cover it's an AMC 20... (

) but I wonderabout the axles. People say the 2-piece axles are the weak point, butI wonder if they haven't already been changed out. Unfortunately I'mtoo stupid to know how to tell. Any way to tell by just looking? Ifnot then how can I tell? I realize this is a stupid question, so begentle, please. :-) Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The two piece axles have a big nut to hold the hub and brake drum in place, similar to the VW Bug axle nut. Opinions differ as to the weakness of this design, but it was common in the fifties and before. High strength Loctite can help on reassembly.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Remember the hub covers on the fornt axle that you took off when you installed the locking hubs? If the rear hubs look like they could use those covers, you have the two-piece axles. If the rear axles are flat, then you have the one-piece design.

If you have the one-piece design, then you need to determine if you have the ball bearing type or the roller bearing type. To find this out, you have to pull the axle out. Disconnect the brake line and plug it so the system doesn't drain, then remove the four bolts that hold the Brake Backing Plate on, then slide the axle and backing plate out. (You will need to remove the brake components too, but I skipped over several obvious steps that you will easily identify.)

Reply to
CRWLR

Has anybody in the group tried this product. Did it increase horsepower as advertised and how did it affect your gas mileage?

Tks Jbs

Reply to
smit

Maybe you should post as "New" rather than "Reply".

IMHO the effect is negligible.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

If you want us to tell you if they are one piece axels we need a different picture, or you can probably tell yourself. Look at the flange that you put you rear wheels on. If there is a big nut there, you still have two piece axels. If it is a flat solid flange with just lugs for you wheels it is a one piece axel.

Reply to
brids5