Super Clutch problems

I finally got all the loose ends tied down, and with new wheels on the car and the engine finally idling properly, I reinstalled the driver's seat and got in. The engine started fine, but when I pushed down on the stick shift knob and tried to put it into second, the gears ground as all manual transmissions do when you don't use the clutch right.

I learned early on how to drive a stick shift, and in this case, the clutch pedal was full depressed. After trying again, and getting the same grinding, I shut off the car. I put the car in reverse with the engine off, and then tried to start the car. The clutch fully depressed again had no effect as the car tried to lurch backward under the power of the starter, before dying.

I tried it once more, this time in first gear. The same thing happened. The car lurched forward, under the power of the starter, and then died out. All of these tests were done with the clutch pedal fully depressed.

As of 18 months ago I knew very little about cars. I could drive a manual transmission and my Grandfather had an old beetle in his garage. Now, 18 months smarter, I have gone through the fuel system, the brake system, and the engine air, fuel injection, and electrical systems. I have replaced a floor pan and two heater channels with their accompanying support rails (it's a convertible) and have fixed the suspension. I thought I had some body work, which I'll get help for, and some paint to do and then I would sort out the headlights and taillights.

I know nothing about transmissions or what it takes to fix them. I have gotten friendly with the Bentley guide, and after reading that tonight, it sounds like i'll have to remove the engine and get the car lifted up back off its wheels.

Any advice, suggestions, or tips for troubleshooting would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry.Snow

Sounds to me like the throwout bearing isn't engaging properly. In any event, assuming the clutch cable is okay, whatever is wrong with the clutch will require dropping the engine. Since VW clutches are relatively inexpensive, I would consider replacing everything to avoid other short-term future problems.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

If that clutch has sat too long without having the pressure released from time to time I find that the disc will sometimes stick to either the flywheel or the pressure plate. I have freed them up using violent means but the best is to just remove the engine to examine what is happening.

Or you could go the violent route.......that is if the clutch worked before you allowed the engine to sit up. Two paths to the violent route.

  1. With the rear end of the vehicle supported by sturdy jack stands so both wheels are off the ground, start engine in gear. Then while revving the engine and holding in the clutch pedal...............slam on the brakes. This might either stall out the engine, free up the clutch disc, OR BREAK SOMETHING!
  2. The same as above but with the vehicle on the ground so make sure you have driving room and stopping room. AGAIN YOU COULD BREAK SOMETHING! I have gone this route many times without damaging anything but there is always the first time.

Now I will assume that this is a 1975-1979 Super Beetle Convertible that now runs again, but is a slight bear to remove the engine. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1