License light wire access

My license plate light has not worked in the 4 years I've owned my car. State inspection is coming up and it's time I got around to fixing it before my luck runs out. I cleaned up the wires in the engine bay but it still doesn't work. I need to check the connections beyond the firewall. Is the connection to the driving lights just behind the tar board or firewall? What's the easiest way to access them? Does the engine need to be removes to get behins the tar board?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Houdsie

This is on your '67 Ghia?

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sorry, This is on a '73 Super.

Reply to
Houdsie

There is some confusion about the tail light wiring on the '73.

Pull the tarboard off on the left side of the engine bay. A thin Gry/Blk goes to the left tail light harness. Look for a thin Gry/Red. This is for the license plate light.

If not there, look behind the tarboard on the opposite side. There should be a TEE splice connector from the Gry/Blk to the Gry/Blu from the license light.

In either case, there is a thin Brw wire from the light which attaches to the Ground tab behind the tarboard on either side.

There is also a double plastic splice near the decklid spring. Examine its connections carefully.

Post back what you find, especially what colors are where.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I only had time for a quick look to find the wires. I think I found them on the passenger side of the compartment. For reference, I have a early '73 (9/72) with a generator. The tarboard is warped and brittle, so it was tough to get a good look at the colors. Hopefully, I should get to these with more time on my hands in the next week or two.

Thanks Speedy Jim!

Reply to
Houdsie