Superbeetle Problems?

When I hung out here a few years ago I noticed a lot of people complaining about Superbeetles..I never paid much attention because I've had standard beetles. Now I have the chance to get a '74 Superbeetle for next to nothing and am trying to remember what everyone was complaining about. What problems are inherent in Supers that aren't in standard beetles? I know the Mcpherson Strut suspension is too weak for a Baja but other than that what are the problems and can they be fixed? Are there any advantages to Supers in anyone's opinion? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
DAY TRIPPER

You've already listed the problems: Front end. Other than that, the Super and Std are the same from the windshield back.

Oh...the windshield on that Super is more expensive:-(

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Ben Boyle

So are the steering parts. Way more expensive.

Reply to
jjs

Get the Super! You can buy new front end parts from Topline and there's a website called SBO (Super Beetles Only). I hated the way the front end on my '72 stood up in the air, but some mild lowering springs alone took care of that. If you like the early headlights, you can get fiberglass fenders that use the pre-'67 assemblies. I hated the new steering wheel (too plastickky), but I have a Grant that looks like an old Formuling. The car has 65's front and 95's back (no problem on Empi 8 spokes, and it rides and corners like a 911S (well, almost)... I notice most people don't even realize there were older beetles with the nice lights. Sort of like the Jaguar XKE when they went to "stickin' out" lights....gosh the first E-types were perhaps the most sensual looking cars ever designed... I'll take the 1600dp to an old 1200 ANYTIME. I bet it has an alternator, which I'll get soon, and the only thing I would not get is a car with fuel injection. Other than that, expect all the rubber to be rotted (fuel lines), and the wiring to be crappy, as in all cars this old... paul

Reply to
pmbedard

I have a '73 Super and i just love it. Yes, I've had shimmies, but with time, patience and a checklist with things to check or replace, it can be fixed. On my island, super beetle windshields are pretty cheap. Maybe because people here bought a lot of SB's in the 70's. It was the first bug here to come with disc brakes, so publicity made the sales.

There is something else about SB's. The dashboard of a 1303 is almost impossible to find in prefect condition. You can adapt a fiberglass porshe style dash, but they cost more.

IMHO, if you want a super, go get it. Just make sure that if you are getting a 1303 the dash should be in good condition and no shimmies or shimmies source detected. If you do get the super, let me know, I'll send you my checklist for shimmies.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

[...]

Shane

I love the way VWTrends start their series of tech articles about SB restoration:(*) "The Super Beetle is a funny car. It is inflated, rounded, bulbous and bloated. It's a turkey the day before Christmas and most of us the day after, but lots of people swear by them. I do. It looks solid, squat, thick and sturdy. Its name is an adjective, meaning better than everything else, and implies reliability. It's longer, faster, wider, taller, roomier and heavier. It's a Super Beetle, and the subject of VWTrends' next car project."

I have a super and I love it! bigger trunk and easier to fix front end. The only problem I find is the price of certain parts like the steering gearbox, which is normal since there are far more "normal" bugs than supers. Some people despise them because the are not super-old and super-vintage, but wait a few years and you'll see everyone glad that a few of us kept some in drivable condition.......then we'll see who laughs last. ;)

Ant

*To be found at:
DAY TRIPPER wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Here's a couple of webpages that may help you:

And here's a recent post by Ray Greenwood over at STF:
is very knowledgeable on the strut suspensions used in aircooledVolkswagens.

hth

-- Scott

"Shane" wrote

complaining

Reply to
Scott H

Those are great places to read about the shimmies. add to that list, check body damage or modifications and check tire pressure. Sometimes, if your front tires are slightly overinflated will make a slight shimmies problem something unbearable.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I have driven Super's for the past few years and I like the way they handle. I read a while back that the front brake drums on them were the largest and heaviest ever put on a beetle and that several who had switched to disc brakes had reported less shimmy. Have any of you read that or done it? I think I will on my new project due this summer. Also, isn't it also true that they had disc brakes in the models sold in Europe and that they didn't have as many problems? Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I put front discs on my 73 super. It's the best modification one can do to improve them. Do add a metering valve. It seems no one mentions you need one, but you do. Consider adding an adjustable proportioning valve, too.

I have a set of type-3 rear drums (from a 71 squareback) all ready to drop in. They're almost an inch greater in diameter and a quarter inch wider contact area. It's a pure bolt-on.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Almost all Supers here are euro spec., and just remember 2 or 3 supers with drums front. Almost all of them are discs front and drums rear. Mine is a

1303S and it came with discs. I don't know if discs are less prone to shimmies, but I've had my toll of shimmies, and it ain't even funny. Once you get rid of the shimmies, the super is a great bug to drive and a lot better handling too.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña