Having just returned from renting a 2018 Subaru Forester, I can say that I could find absolutely nothing to fault with the CVT on this vehicle. It was as close to a "real" transmission as one could get. No rubber banding sensation on starting from a stopped position. No sense of anything except a firm shift from one gear to another on acceleration, up and down steep hills. As far as I was concerned, the vehicle had a transmission with "proper" gears.
I had the high-end version of the Forester: leather seats, heated steering wheel, blindspot warnings (which sounded annoyingly as I was backing out of parking spots with a vehicle in the adjacent spot), navigation, satellite radio and I'm sure other options I didn't discover or use. Very nice drive. 9.4 litres/100km over the Rocky Mountains and back again, which I consider to be perfectly acceptable given my driving with, shall we say, elan.
I have no idea what motor was in the thing: as I often find with rentals, there is either no owner's manual included, or as in my case, it is still wrapped and sealed, which I did not feel any need to break open. Too large a vehicle for my taste, being inclined more to the sporty sedans of this world, but a very nice vehicle for those wanting the storage space or the towing capacity.
On 6/17/18 7:29 PM, Darryl Johnson wrote:

Real men like real gears- and a clutch pedal to shift from one to the next...
--
Have you ever looked into the mirror and though...hell no, that can’t be
right.
On 2018-06-17 7:37 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Well, of course! <g> But there are many who do not want a daily driver for "real men."
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 00:12:52 UTC, Darryl Johnson

And if you live long enough you'll have knees that can't deal with all the shifting when driving in heavy traffic.
--
John Varela

On 6/18/2018 1:08 PM, John Varela wrote:

My 2010 Legacy has CVT. I love it.
For the first 40 years all the cars I owned had manual transmissions. The first one (1962 Triumph Herald) had bad syncho so I had to learn to double clutch.
I wouldn't want to go back to any of that (although I really loved the next car, a yellow 1969 Triumph Spitfire).
Even the truck I have now is an automatic.
On 6/18/18 11:23 PM, jmreno wrote:

Weenie ;-)
--
I think of myself as a man's man. I like my whiskey neat, my steaks
rare, and my Pop-Tarts untoasted.
On 6/19/2018 11:31 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Get back to us when you reach our age and tell us how it feels.
On 6/19/18 3:47 PM, Frank wrote:

Good shot I'm older than you- in my mid 70's. Got the usual aches, pains and serious maladies but I try not to whine about 'em.
One of my docs did sign the form for a handicap parking tag a few years back; greatest thing since sliced bread ;-)
--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought...hell no, that can’t be
right...
On 6/19/2018 6:51 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I guessed wrong. You qualify. I am older in my late 70's but not handicapped. My wife has a handicap tag because of her bum knees. Here in Delaware anyone over 85 can request one. I drove her car when I had to take her around after she got one knee replaced and it was great to take advantage of being handicapped.
I'm sure automatic or CVT is easier for elderly to drive as there is less things to do which should be better for us with slower reflexes. CVT also gets better mileage than other transmissions.
On 6/19/18 8:12 PM, Frank wrote:

Yeah, I was just ragging.
My last car with a clutch was a '70's VW Rabbit that I enjoyed driving for several years. Where I live is pretty hilly though- plus traffic has been getting notably grimmer for many years, so it's been A/T ever since.
My wife got a Forester year before last and she's very happy with it. I rarely drive it but when I do, that CVT no shift-em' is disconcerting. I don't feel that I'm one with the machine!
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

My wife has a 2014 Forester (replacing the 1999 Forester) that I drive when we go to Costco or the plant nursery. I never notice the shifter. My own car is an Infiniti M and I don't notice the shifting in it, either. My wife has never learned to drive anything but an automatic and I switched to automatic when I replaced my 240Z with a 1985 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si. I was only 50 years old but already had some knee problems.
--
John Varela

On 6/20/2018 3:19 PM, John Varela wrote:

I've had knee and back problems since my 20's.
On 2018-06-19 8:12 PM, Frank wrote:

And aren't we a bunch of old farts! (Septuagenarian myself, now.)
On 6/20/2018 7:50 PM, Darryl Johnson wrote:

Yes we are and in a year and a half, I'll be an octogenarian.
My wife told me yesterday that her brother who just turned 85 has trouble driving his old Fiero stick shift because it hurts his knees.
As for CVT I have been driving my wife's automatic Forester this week as mine was in the shop. It did feel different at first going back to my Forester with a CVT but now it feels normal.
My nephews body shop did a great job with dent in my fender and even took out a lot of scratches on other parts. Looks like a new car. We talked about Subaru Eyesight system and he says he has repaired Subaru's that have it. Awful lot of electronics making cars more expensive to repair if damaged.

Oh. A young'un.

--
John Varela

On 6/18/2018 11:23 PM, jmreno wrote:

I'm of the same opinion. I've had nothing but manual transmissions since I started driving, 30 years ago, though I used to drive some of my dad's old cars which had automatics, but my own cars have had manuals. My last manual was my last car, my 2000 Outback. It was a much better manual than any of my previous manuals, but still it was creating problems with my back. My current car, a Tribeca, has an auto. Current autos are both faster and get better gas mileage than manuals, which used to be the manual's biggest advantage over autos in the old days.
When the newer technology has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages anymore over the older technology, then it's time for the old technology to disappear. When the only reasons for choosing the old technology is nostalgia, then that's not a good reason for keeping it. Do we have old-timers complaining about the fact that they have no manual chokes anymore? What about the manual crank starters?
    Yousuf Khan
On 6/19/2018 5:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Couple of years ago going through tool box in garage I took out the timing light and dwell tack meter I had not used in decades since I had to change points and check timing.
Your comment reminded me that it has been over 30 years ago since the last time I drove a standard transmission and it was frightening. It happened going to a conference in the UK with a coworker driving from London to York. Coworker who was driving and was from Northern Ireland forgot where he was and swerved to the right when he should have gone left and we had the car totaled in a collision with another car. Garage would not give him another rental since he had an accident and I had to take the rental and drive. Tough enough for me to drive on the left but it was equally frustrating to shift gears with my left hand. I gave up the car when we got to York and at the end of the conference took the train back to London.
On 2018-06-19 5:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Hey! Manual chokes and and a hole in the front bumper to insert the crank handle are fond souvenirs of my wasted youth! So are Weber carburettors. Many a sunny afternoon in the back yard disassembling, cleaning and reassembling them. An early MGA of mine had, if I recollect, SU carbs. Seems I could never quite get them synchronized, for some reason. (Probably ineptitude. <sigh>)
Remembering the crank kicking back and damn near breaking my wrist is a not so ford memory, I must admit.
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 23:48:58 UTC, Darryl Johnson

Didn't you have a Uni-Syn for synching the carbs? I still have mine.

--
John Varela

Darryl Johnson wrote:

Unfortunately Subaru is killing the turbo option in the 2019 Forester. 12 extra HP with the newer 2.5L engine doesn't displace the 80 extra HP with a turbo.
2018 Forester 2.5: 170 HP, 174 lb-ft torque (touring model) 250 HP, 258 lb-ft torque (XT premium model) 2019 Forester 2.5: 182 HP, 176 lb-ft torque
Mileage seems the driving factor.
2018 Forester 2.5i w/6-spd manual: 22/28 MPG 2018 Forester XT: 23/27 MPG 2019 Forester 2.5i: 26/32 MPG
You get better MPG but less power. Considering I'd use this vehicle type for towing, I'd sacrifice some mileage for more power. I'll pay for the extra safety. It's cheap health insurance.
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-will-axe-2-key-models-when-new-generation-2019-forester-arrives