T3 Carby Idling Shut off

Got a bloke in another state with a 058 129 413D carb Idling Shut Off Valve. He,s not sure if its suits Type 3,s. Anyone got any idea?. Cheers John

Reply to
John

I didn't find any reference to Type 3 carbs for that sol. It was used on the 30PICT and the 34PDSIT (Type 2). Has 55 orifice size.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Seemed too good to be true!. I,ve got one that has gone intermittent and that one came up straight away. Thanks for advice John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Is this question about a Type 3 (e.g fasty, squareback etc) or a T3? (e.g T25, think you USA guys possibly refer to them as vanagons?)

Reply to
caroline

Yep, Type 3 Squareback. Actually from a bit north of Sydney, Australia!. Managed to fix the thing too. Machined off the swaged over end on the solenoid, that allowed me to remove the plug of black plastic which includes the spade terminal which has a right angle bend encased in the plastic. The little blob of solder you see near the base of the terminal is actually a solder lug which is both soldered to the terminal and also has one end of the coil coming up through the middle of the solder lug. The other end of the coil is soldered to the inside case. In my old girls case the solder lug had a poor solder joint to the terminal which caused the intermittent operation of the solenoid. Cure was to resolder both the lug to the terminal and the wire from coil up middle of solder lug. Then encased the thing in hard setting epoxy resin. It looks exactly the same as original except the epoxy is clear as opposed to black. The main thing here is that if you have a solenoid that is intermittent, just carefully solder a wire from the solder lug to the terminal. That will bypass the dry joint, bingo. What may help the soldering is to use Phosphoric Acid as a flux. I,ve got a huge bottle I make my own rustkiller out of ( had it for years, if I tried to buy it now I,d probably get arrested as a terrrorist) . There is no better flux. Cheers John You blokes in the States have a good inaugaration.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Well done!

As an aside, our vw pickup is from Australia. Imported into Ireland 5 years ago.

Reply to
caroline