Tachometer

Analog tachs go way, way back to magneto days.

Today, the circuitry usually has some kind of transistor/IC circuit which gets a signal from the engine spark ignition and creates a "standard" width pulse for each spark.

The faster the engine runs, the more of these "standard" pulses are generated each second. A mechanical (analog) meter averages all the pulses over a fairly long time span to give a steady meter reading.

an older design but the explanation is stillvalid.

You can build a circuit today with a couple of 555 IC's.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You could. Actually you could do it with one 555 or a 567, or a couple transistors. But much better with an LM-2917. Easier, better, and good linearity.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim

One scheme here:

555

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Since you brought it up...

My buggy has a 2 inch tach installed, I haven't found the wires for it in the engine compartment yet. When I do, how do I hook it up? There are 2 wires back there so far that I haven't identified and I think one of them goes to the gen light on the dash so making the assumption there is only one wire, what does it hook to? I know the tach has power, or at least power to run the light in the guage so I'm hoping it works.

Thanks, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

On the Off-chance that you have a VDO gauge:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

hoping it

No it's not a VDO, it's an aftermarket but the wiring looks the same. One wire to lights, one to power, one to ground and one to the engine. If I read it right, the engine wige goes to the positive side of the coil?

Reply to
tcrdn11

hoping it

No it's not a VDO, it's an aftermarket but the wiring looks the same. One wire to lights, one to power, one to ground and one to the engine. If I read it right, the engine wire goes to the positive side of the coil?

Reply to
tcrdn11

Negative side (where the Green points wire connects).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim