Tightening Torque: heater box to head?

i have used copper locknuts for the exhaust, and now i have the 11mm head brass nuts from Aircooled.net...i highly recommend them...they provide extra clearance when used with headers and they are a bit "longer" than the standard steel nuts....when the stroker gets built you can bet your last dollar i will spend my last one on the brass nuts....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

to follow up here is a link to the brass nuts:

when dealing with exhaust on a vw i have learned a couple things over the years...i will never have another exhaust system that is not "flanged" at the heater/j-tube connection. I will always use copper exhaust gaskets. and since i have been doing this for awhile now, i will probably never have to worry about exhaust leaks..i haven't so far, since i began flanging and using copper gaskets...these are also available at aircooled.net (this is where mine came from) and i highly recommend them...here are the links:

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Chris, ...........I think I'd rather have some fun and see if I can get my wife to go to the parts store and ask if they have brass nuts........................LOL

( good link Chris )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

i "double-dog" dare ya....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

In addition to sockets, try a 13mm box or 13mm open end wrench. In my years of working on airc VW's, I discovered that there exists a 13mm nut holding the exhaust 'manifold' on the rear of T1's (probably other models too) that can only effectively be tightened/loosened with alternating applications (flip flopping) of a 13mm open end wrench.

Reply to
John Kuthe

I don't know, I always use an anti-sieze compound containing nickel. Just bought a lifetime supply from a FLAPS ~$5.

Reply to
Michael Kelly