Timing Light Trouble And CDI

Hi All! I have an almost stock 1600cc dp Type I with a CDI ignition, a SVDA dizzy, and a non smog 34PICT3 carb in a 1973 VW beetle.

I am having trouble connecting my timing light with this CDI that I bought from Aircooled.net/ a few years ago. I forgot how to connect it.

I tried connecting it this way: Probe to the No. 1 plug wire on the distributor cap. Red clip to Terminal 1, the (-) terminal, on the coil. Black clip to ground. This did not work.

What worked was to connect the red clip to where it gets 12 volts. and The Probe to the No. 1 plug wire on the distributor cap. And The black clip to ground. Please Help Thanks! Joseph P.

Reply to
Josef

You got the poles (+,-) right there. It's best to put the timing sensor close to the #1 plug, but it will probably work okay where you have it. (Clipping the +,- to the car's electrical supply is not neccessary. You can use an external 12V DC supply, such as a spare battery, if you like.)

Reply to
J Stafford