To Fix and Sell or Just Sell?

Hello again,

Thanks a lot with your help about the rust spot on my 74 Ghia Vert. I ended up taking it to a recommended body shop and got worse news as they were looking at it...It appears that the rust is also on the body of the car, around the lip of the hood. Not bad yet, but it will get that way. I am supposed to go back and talk to the owner, but it looks like it might cost a grand to fix if they have to paint the whole front end. Since I have recently gone back to school, and I don't really have the cash to fix it, and I don't think I should leave it like that, I have tentatively decided to sell it. But, I am wondering if I should fix it and sell it, or just cut my losses and sell it as is.

My theory behind fixing it first is that I am the second owner of the car, it has 75k miles, it looks great (other than aforementioned rustspot). Interior could use some minor touchups. If I spent the cash to fix it, I wouldn't feel bad with a starting offer of $9,000 with room for bargaining. If I don't fix it, I would have to start lower, and even then I can see the conversation....."Well, with that rust spot.....blah blah blah."

So, my question is, has anyone else experienced this? And what was your rate of return? I'm guessing it all depends on the buyer, what they are willing to pay, etc. But any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

John Barbour

Reply to
John T. Barbour

I think you have already answered your question, why gamble a grand to make a grand, any increased profit is only speculation given your current status, as you know, an item is only worth what another will pay, even if it really does have higher value, you might consider having the car appraised for a reality check. I've bought and sold quite a few cars, and this is my opinion, for what it's worth. Douglas

bargaining.

appreciated.

Reply to
Douglas

Let the new owner fix it --- he may have the talent to do himself at less than $1G or want to do a more indepth restore. If you repaint the entire front end - buyers become suspicious that damage is much worse and was perhaps covered up with a bondo repair. Why not sand blast area and paint with POR-15 (metal conditioner/preservative) and keep on driving it --- might come across $ down the road.

Reply to
Wolfgang