Farmingon N.C. BugBash

Did anyone on this group make the show and race at Farmington NC?? My youngest son drove his green 64 beetle to the show, then qualified at

8.82 (1/8 mile) His time was so good he had to run the Pro class, against trailered cars with slicks, line locks,no cooling fans,etc. He had to spot a slingshot rail @.35 in the semis,ran his dial in and lost on reaction time by .035. The engine is a 1635,with a single 44 weber, blow thru turbo gleaned from a t-bird,and a shot of nitrous (still running points,and a blue coil).Lots of fans came by and enjoyed seeing the little basement built car do so well,all in all a great day! That is the first time I have missed any sporting event either of my 2 sons were involved in, and the oldest is 27.I sure missed a real good day for him and his home built car. The Farmington show has sort of faded out,it was always popular(until the ricers were invited and "thumped out" the parking area with loud music contests) It was good to hear it was well attended.I hope it now will be a regular event.

Freddy Badgett

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

..............Could you get your son to post a detailed description of this set-up Freddy. I'd love to know more about it. Is it a daily driver or mostly a weekend fun-mobile?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

He drives it regularly, in fact ,it's 40 or so miles to his workplace.It is not his daily driver,but he did drive it the 3 hours 1 way to the Rockingham NC show and raced it there. Adam "Lurks" on RAMVA, he has all the details on the setup.

Freddy Badgett

Tim Rogers wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

"Freddy Badgett" wrote

I was there, Freddy. I thought it was a good show, considering the short notice from when the track decided to do a show. The old IVWA shows did dwindle down until they were pretty crappy. But as far as I know, the IVWA is gone and had nothing to do with this show. The Farmington track is under new ownership and from what I've heard and they want to get the all VW shows started back up. They announced a few times that they're going to have spring and fall shows. Hopefully the shows will grow back to what they used to be. I like the Farmington shows since it's pretty much all interstate (80 miles one way on I-85, I-77 & I-40) for me to get there. If you haven't been there in a while, they've made a lot of improvements to the facility. Those old bleachers have been replaced with some really nice ones, they've built a new timing tower, race shop, game room, concession stand, etc., along with improving the burn out area and starting line (visually anyway, I don't know how the racers feel about it). It looks like a new place. They could stand to remodel the bathrooms still but maybe that's in the works. The only complaint I might have is that the gate fee was a little high at $15. Your son's car was one of the best looking racers there, IMO. Was he able to get consistent times? It looked to me like he had quite a bit of wheelspin off the line.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

When Adam was driving his Herbie look-alike to high school @ 6 years ago,the Bug Bash shows were big,and well attended.For reasons I can't figure out, they just quit having them.Rumors were rampant, but I prefer facts.It makes good business sense to fill the place twice a year with VW's! Adam called me between runs to bounce ideas for tuning off me. His initial 3 runs were 8.95 8.92 8.92 .He kept lowering air pressure until he got thing to a point he felt it could go no lower,and was rather consistent.He set his dial in time at 8.82 and ran an 8.822 his last run,but got beat on reaction time(It's tough to spot a rail dragster .35 and wait to leave the line after him!) He was pleased with the consistency of his car,but he needs more experience at the starting line.( this was his second ever race) As to wheelspin,it's also tough to run the pro class with street tires,no electronics,or line lock,just 3 pedals and a gearshift.He is having fun,and that is the object. Oh- Adam has corrected me-the engine is a 1641, and the carb is a weber

40,not a 44. So many numbers to keep in the old memory bank.

Freddy

Scott H wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Glad to hear that you all enjoyed the show and just remember that this event is NOT called "Bug Bash" that is the old IVWA term and we will be coming up with something new to reflect the shows for the future. I know there were several comments about the entry fee and those are being addressed to the track as we prepare for 2004. Photos will be up on the

site sometime today and we will be getting the dates for 2004 done ASAP. If anyone has any questions or comments about the show, let me know. Since I am one of the ones that ran the show and promoted it :>)

Reply to
southeastvw

Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but that show was called "Bug Bash" before the days if IVWA.My friend Ken Joyce promoted the "Bugmania" shows and race at Farmington.I would not fear using the name "bug bash" unless there were legalities preventing that use as it is catchy,easy to say, remember, and print on T shirts...I do know that it is quite expensive to use the track facilities,and the folks promoting the show should be allowed to make a fair profit.Even from us "frugal" VW type folks. It was great to be back at Farmington!!

Freddy

southeastvw wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

I didn't know the folks before IVWA that promoted there. I just prefer not to use the name because I do not want anyone to think I am claiming the show as "Bu*Bas*" see what I am saying? I do believe that someone copyrighted that name.

I wasn't aware that there was a show there before the IVWA days, now I know.

Anyway, we are glad to bring it back and hope that everyone enjoys it for the future.

Reply to
southeastvw

"southeastvw" wrote

.... plus, you did a great job singing the national anthem.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:13:25 GMT, "Scott H" ran around screaming and yelling:

But the question is, was Ms. Kathy wearing a grass skirt while singing? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks :>) That is the only chance I get to do that.

Reply to
southeastvw

NONONONONONO!

Reply to
southeastvw

................I've misplaced the link for that pic.............Could we see it again?

..........heh heh

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Joey Tribiani" wrote

I didn't see her but I'm assuming that she was in the timing tower behind that mirrored glass while she was singing, so who knows *what* she was wearing. ;-)

Reply to
Scott H

Or not wearing :o) Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures
Bill Berckman

HAHAHAHAHA You two are sooooooo funny!

Reply to
southeastvw