Turn signal and brake light wiring hell............

Hey Ramva,

My bug was running fine until tonight when I was at the local Foster's Freeze and I drove my 60 home after dark. I noticed I didn't have any brake lights working and then when I came to a corner and hit my turn signal switch and put my foot on the brake, I heard a fuse pop.

So, I knew a friend nearby and I went to his house and took a look under the hood. The fuse that popped is the fuse to the brake light switches (67 master cyl) on the master cyl and then back to the rear of the car to the lights. I replaced the fuse and it popped again, so I chose to drive it home without any brake lights.

Anyone off the top of their head ever experience this? I have a feeling its something basic here. The wiring was all working fine until tonight and I can't think of what I did today to cause this, except for giving her a wash.........

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
<1l75

Let me see if I have this right:

The car is a '60 sedan. The M/C is a dual ckt with 2 stop light switches, from a '67. The fuse only pops if you put the turn signal on AND step on the brakes.

Does it matter if you set the turn signal for Right or Left?

Your '60 should have tail lights with a single bulb and the complicated turn signal switch.

Try isolating things to get more clues: Disconnect the wiring at the tail lights or take the bulbs out. Remove stop light switch wires one switch at a time.

You can unplug the wires leading to the tail lights in the harness (under the hood) just as they leave the turn signal switch. That might ruel in/out the rear harness.

If you don't have one yet, download the correct diagram here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

No, it doesnt matter if I turn the turn signal switch left or right. I am running a dual circut master cyl, due to four wheel disc brakes on my

60

Thanks Speedy, Ill try your suggestions later today

Reply to
<1l75