Type 4 axle lengths

Can anyone tell me what lengths I can get type 4 axles or where I can go to find out?

I am a student at University of Louisiana at Lafayette working on my senior project. We are competing in the SAE Mini-baja competition and are looking to use these axle shafts. However, info on available lengths are scarce.

thanks

Reply to
Thomas Bower

The nomenclature gets misleading. Type 4 was a sedan made from '70 to '74. There were few imported to the US. They used a 1.7 or 1.8 Litre engine, similar to the Beetle engine. The engine became known as the "Type 4".

In '72 this engine was transplanted into the Type 2 Bus (transporter) and later grew to 2 Litre size, now known as the Type 4 engine.

Beetles from '69 onward used CV joints for the rear axle shafts. Both the Type 4 sedan and the Bus used a similar CV joint/axle except that they were beefier (larger CV and flanges) and had a bigger range (angle) of travel.

There was one other car which used the big CV joint: the THING. IIRC the axles were Beetle size but the larger CV gave the THING more road clearance.

I don't know if the Type 4 sedan used a different length axle from the Bus. In either case, I bet the only place you're going to find them is in a scrap yard. Bus axles will be plentiful. Look for a late ('76 to '79) Bus tranny as well whilst there.

A couple of links which may steer you:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Bug axle (reffered to as type 1) is 16 5/16" used type 1 CV's only good for about 12deg of angle.

Bus axle (reffed to as type 2) 18 3/4" used type 2 CV's which are good for about 17deg of angle

Thing 181/ Porsche 924/944 (reffed to as same I suppose) are 16 1/8". theY use the type 4 CV's which are good for around 22deg of angle.

As far a true type 4 axle, I'm with jim. It's not a common car really so you don't hear all that much. Maybe a good search of part #'s and you could probably figure it out from there. I would assume that they used the 181 style axle?

All axles above have the same spline count. You can interchange the CV's onn the axles allthough if using the type 2 or 4 on a type 1 axle you will have to machine the lip off to make those CV's fit. this will weaken the axle possibly and it also makes it a free floating axle which could be a problem depending on how much room you have for movement.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro