'88 944 srive axle/CV question

Hi all,

got a bit of a problem. In my driveway is my daily driver '88 944 with what sounds like a FUBAR CV joint on the passenger side. Of course tomorrow is Xmas eve so no parts are going to be forthcoming until Monday, and I will shoot myself if I don't have wheels.

I notice that the CV joints are the same for all four, are the drive axles symmetric inside to outside as well? What I'm thinking is I could remove the pass. side axle and install it "backwards" so the CVs are running on less worn metal, hopefully that will make them shut up until I can get some new CV joints. I only need a couple hundred miles out of them, I'm not putting off a needed repair, I just can't get any parts until after Xmas.

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work? If nobody says otherwise I'm going to try to hitch a ride to the parts store to get a cheesehead bit to do the swap tomorrow (of course, my tools are 30 miles away and it's loud enough I don't want to risk it.)

What size cheesehead *is* it anyway?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

they are symmetric end over end and side to side, switching ends and sides will change the sress on a given cv joint and may keep you on the road for a bit, but a worn joint is a worn joint and will need to be fixed at some point.

DC

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
doug

Yeah I know I just need it to be driveable until I can get some new joints. I literally can find only one local source for CVs or halfshafts, and they won't be open until Monday, so no matter where I get them from I won't be able to get under the car again until next Saturday.

thanks for the reply, I suspected such but confirmation from someone who knows is always nice before wasting your time. I already got 7 of the bolts loose, the rest are soaking - so I should be back on the road sometime this afternoon if a CV really is the problem.

thanks again

nate

doug wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It worked, thanks!

I took the car out and ran it up to about 85 on the highway for a few miles, then took the back way home. No clacking, vibration, etc.

I guess that means I need to order two CV joints on Monday! (both looked like some water had gotten inside them; they still had grease but it was streaked with red.) I might just order four for insurance.

Just curious, why are rebuilt halfshaft assemblies so hard to find? Are the axle shafts themselves becoming scarce?

nate

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Jetson

I had a discussion of my issue going on the pelican parts 944 forum as well, someone suggested that the CV joints might be the same as a 90mm VW inner CV, if so that's good news because parts4vws.com has them for $60 apiece which is $30 cheaper than from any of the Porsche places. (I've dealt with them several times over the years with my various VWs and couldn't be happier either with the prices or the service.)

Just thought I would pass this along, I'm going to try to confirm that fitment, if anyone else can confirm or deny please post.

nate

Jets> I just pulled my CV joints out.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Note that this is actually Standard Operating Procedure for 944s. You should be able to run the 'flipped' CVs for another, say, 100k miles.

Walt - 86 944 NA (CVs flipped 25k miles ago)

-...- Walt Spector (w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Reply to
Walter Spector

you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal - after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets Tomato gravy (see index) 4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well. In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens for frying before you go for the real thing. Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces 2 cups flour Onion, garlic Salt pepper garlic powder cayenne pepper hot sauce, etc. Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic. Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly, then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens. The technique of

Reply to
Walter Spector

I have a set axles for my 74 911 through O'Reillys Auto Parts in the works. $60.00 a piece to rebuild them, but had to send in mine first for the cores.

It sounds like parts are available to re-build them, but basic parts usually re-used like the shafts themselves are getting in short supply for the older ones. But they can be bought and reasonable if you can wait, if not Performance Auto and Pelican Parts have good parts at fair prices.

Reply to
Vern

Can't wait, this is my daily driver, that's the problem. :(

nate

Vern wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

the only thing "rebuilt" about "rebuilt halfshafts" is that someone took the time to mount new CV joints and boots.

The halfshafts themselves cannot be "rebuilt" if the splines are worn... If you price out a "rebuilt" unit, it is usally the cost of 2 new CV joints and about 1/2 hour labor.

whether you buy the joints and miunt them yourself or buy the "rebuilt", It all depends on what you think your time is worth and if you can read instructions.

DC

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
doug

My point is, I'd pay extra to get the halfshafts already done and not screw with them, but it looks like I'm going to be doing it myself because my parts store says I have to send them my old axles *first...*

Unless some kind soul has an extra '88 944 halfshaft (condition of CVs not important) that they'd sell me for cheap...?

nate

doug wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel