Type IV Beetle In The Works: Heads

Hello All,

I've been working on this project of mine. I've got a 2.0L type IV engine out of a '76 Transporter. Heads have 37.5 x 33 mm valves w/ oval exhaust ports. Before dissassembly had 115-130psi compression, except on #2 with only made 70psi. [1] Got the heads stripped down, cleaned up, and have almost all the valves out. On the 3/4 head, I'm having to use heat to get the keepers unstuck from the spring retainer. Normal?

The heads are very clean with little exterior surface corrosion. There is a good coat of carbon in the chambers but nothing unusual. The valve seats are a little dirty but do not look burned or scarred. The intake valves are a gray metal while the exhaust valves appear bronze. There was a fair amount of black half-burnt oil on some of the valve stems when I took them out, and the exhaust valves have some black, almost scorch-mark looking discolorations. Sound like I need new guides?

My plan is to just clean up the chambers and ports. I'd like to reuse the valves if possible, just lap them in. Guides if necessary.

Pictures will be posted shortly. I'd appreciate any knowlegable insight into what I've got.

Thanks, Harry

[1] The cylinders were simply rehoned and reassembled with new rings during a "rebuild" and picked up some corrosion during 10 years of sitting up, so I think that explains the low compression.
Reply to
Harry Smith

Photos at:

I finished stripping the heads down tonight. The pictures are of the

1/2 cylinder head but the 3/4 parts look essentially the same. The valves don't look too bad to my relatively untrained eye. I know they're fairly cheap to replace, but I'd like to save money on things I expect to eventually replace anyway so I can spend more on the fuel system. Assuming, you know, they aren't going to drop through my pistons.

You know, looking at those pictures, it looks like the rear has sagged a little unevenly...

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh, I meant to say valve guides.

Oops, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Don't take chances.

I replaced all valves with new. New springs, keepers, titanium retainers etc...

Have the seats checked, they are known to get loose and cause massive engine damage on T4's.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Jan wrote: > Don't take chances.

I definitely appreciate what you're saying. However, the issue here is that if I completely redo the heads, I'd want to get larger valves and some light porting done. And...that's not really in the budget immediately. My friend believes the valves were replaces during the rebuild, and if that is true they really don't have many miles on them. Thus, if I can get away with it, I'd like to save money now so I can spend more later...

Perhaps I should be posting on the AircooledTechnology forum...

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

you will get same advise there. Have the seats checked, I totally understand budget but look at at this way. If you drop a seat all that hard work and money is gone. seriously this was the weak point on t4.

Anton

Reply to
anton

On Mar 23, 10:49 am, "anton" wrote: > you will get same advise there. Have the seats checked, I totally

Agreed. I checked around with local machine shops this week and found an engine rebuilder (CAP Engine in Biloxi) who says he has experience with VW cylinder heads. I'll let the group know how it turns out.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

here is some good reading on the t4 heads.

Anton

Reply to
anton

I know where CAP is... not too far from my house...

Reply to
dragenwagen