Type IV motor in a Beetle

I was wondering if anyone has performed the conversion of putting a Type IV motor into your Beetle. From what I've read, the Type IV is stronger and more reliable than the Type 1 motor. I was wanting to know if anyone had done the conversion and if they were happy with it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Let me thank you all in advance.

Reply to
Jeff Kleier

David

yup,

It pulls in fourth more than the 1600 did in third.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I did it.

I used 2 liter internals, and 1,8 liter case and heads. 1.8 carburated heads have bigger valves.

I also bought a street cam from

along with some other bits and pieces. I used 8,7:1 compression ratio, since I designed the engine to be used in a heavy bus. For a beetle appliucation, I'd go a little over 9:1 compression, if good high octane gasoline is available. Depends on the cam profile of course.

And I did the Joe Cali conversion, with a slight twist, trying to achieve the same airflow pattern as the DTM, which I studied carefully at my house first. (Ordered one for a friend).

I bought the special conversion parts from Oregon Performance, which is no longer producing them. Aircooled.net sells complete kits.

Then I dressed the engine up with a pair od 40mm dellortos and threw in a cheap 009 distributor. I built the header exhaust myself.

Dyno results from an identical setup say it should produce at least 130 horses.

Reliable as hell, LOADS of torque, and it pulls.. and pullls.. and pullls... And runs cool. VERY cool.

I love it. I only wish I could buy the 96mm pistons and drill the cyls out to match, it would be perfect for my needs.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I have performed this hundreds of times and can tell you that I have never had one customer that converted to type IV power my way, go back to a Type I engine- Never....

Reply to
Jake Raby

Jan -- A slight twist, hmmmmmm, I knew you were twisted.

Serious they run amazingly cool. Actually No matter what size or how much power you put out type IV's will not get hot unless you do something real stupid. If the Cali-Style is not enough or if you don't want to make the shroud yourself the DTM will cool it for sure. Not only do they pull in 4 better then a T-1 does in third but most of the time you don't need to use 1st. 2nd has enough power to get you going. Well at least in a light bug or Ghia. Also they can idle at 500rpm's easy, but Jake advised me not to run that low because he likes to keep the oil pressure up. SO I run 900rmps at idle.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

OK, sounds great so far. Now the big question: What is the largest Type IV motor that will fit under the decklid, without those goofy decklid standoffs?

In the lastest Scat catalog, they had their displacement chart and I saw combos that were around 3 liters and sightly more; this gave me chills!!! A 3L Bug running around? That's just sick!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Reply to
Jeff Kleier

The largest stock/factory made T4 engine was a 2L..

Go here for all the info you need:

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I ALMOST pity the fool ricers who get creamed by that car every day. ALMOST.

....NAH!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

When you convert to an upright it depends on the Fanhousing you buy. The DTM and my do it your self T-1 fanhousing fits no problem. The size of the engine does not matter. I have seen guys with a 1800 T-4 and used a Porsche 911 style fan housing and they could not close the hood. Yet I have seen up to 2.7 using a DTM and no problem, except traffic tickets. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

A 2.7L would be nice. Would you happen to have hp/torque figures for a

2.7L? I'm not looking for a full-blown drag car or anything; just a Java Green grocery-getter that has some punch in the rear end! And my '66 still has all of the trim, a roof rack and Sprint Stars with Pirelli P-Metrics. A somewhat subtle resto-custom. Now, I just want a beast living under the decklid!

Once again, thanks for the info so far. Bug people are the best people!

Reply to
Jeff Kleier

We have a few.

Seems like the biggest question is the fuel delivery system... Stuffing monster carbs can be a chore.

Real question is how much power is enough.

Jake Raby has brainwashed me --- Put a Stock 2l T4 against a 2l T1 and you'll choose the T4...

Imagine a bus (1800) without a sink... dog... cabinets... a library of encylcopedias etc stuffed into a bug.

We have T1s T4s etc... Either stock T1 or T4 are the only choices in our collection....

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

I will do no such thing.