Urgent Charging Q please.

Hello '74 Beetle.Alternator. NO Alt light on at all. The wipers were slow this morning, and the stereo turned off when rear de fogger was on, suggesting I am running on battery only. The two terminals on the alternator are tight, and it has been working brilliantly lateley, considering its dark when i go & return to/from work each day.

Where should I start checking ? To compound the problem, the bonnet seems to want to stay shut, so i cannot even check the bulb. The oil pressure lamp works as it should, so i believe the speedo is earthed.

I had noticed that this lamp was out one day last week, but was back on again soon after, possibly suggesting that we have a duff contact somewhere. I have checked the rats nest under the back seat, and that all looks good, and wiggling this lot doesn't seem to help. Can I hotwire the lamp temporarily so that I can get this home ( at work at the moment) We are expecting a large ( for us) snowfall tonight, so would appeciate this sorted before then..

lots of good thoughts to all who even read this !!

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

PS. I already have Speedys wiring diagram, and aim to go out @ lunch with a meter. James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I think the alternator needs the lamp to work in order to "prime" and start charging. Loose wire, burnt bulb, corroded connection - all = possibilities that might be wrong in there. Then ofcourse the alt itself might be bad.

If the light is bad, you could temporarily "fix" it by placing a similar =

bulb in the engine compartment between ground and D+-terminal. An ignition test light maybe? I wouldn't just ground the D+, because I don't know whether it will fry the system or not. If the alt is=20 busted, this will however not help you.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I think the alternator needs the lamp to work in order to "prime" and start charging. Loose wire, burnt bulb, corroded connection - all possibilities that might be wrong in there. Then ofcourse the alt itself might be bad.

If the light is bad, you could temporarily "fix" it by placing a similar bulb in the engine compartment between ground and D+-terminal. An ignition test light maybe? I wouldn't just ground the D+, because I don't know whether it will fry the system or not. If the alt is busted, this will however not help you.

Reply to
Juper Wort

Take a meter out, test each prong (bolt) on the alternator for the (about)12 volts, if its good, then go inside, and check the connections at the battery. I find that in my car, things will be slow...lights slightly dim, and low voltage, then i rev the engine up high, and everything kicks in. Its like it needs a boost. No idea why, maybe someone can help me, haha.

~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Right.

Between D+ and B+. It provides bootstrap current backwards from the battery to the alternator rotor.

-

Jim Adney