Using 1 piece axle boots-67 VW

Thanks Speedy Jim for your advice in removing the rear axle bearings. I used my puller to pull the whole axle tube/bearing combo off in one operation. I had bought one piece axle boots for reassembly. Looking in my Bentley manual it seems you have to press the rear shock mounting assembly off the axle tube to install the one piece boots. That being the case, I will get the split boots. Just thought it would be nice to have the original set up, but the extra work doesn't seem to be worth it. Now have to send the trans to Oregon for rebuilding. Fred67bug

Reply to
fred67bug

doesnt seem worth the trouble huh? When you put the split boots on the seam doesnt go at the 12 o'clock position. nor the 3 or 9 o'clock position. seems like I remember they should go at more like the 10 or 2 o'clock position other wise the seam is under more stress and could leak gear oil out. If I'm wrong... someone please speak up.

Reply to
dragenwagen

l today. The person I spoke with said you can heat up the one piece boot,gr= ease it up and pull it over the bearing mount and shock mount bracket at th= e end of the axle tube. As he put it "the childbirth principal " applies to= the amount of stretch you can get on this piece. I have the axle tubes off= and I'll clean them off and try this technique. I know the 1 piece boots a= re better than the splits-I replaced the boots on my 67 when i first shippe= d the car from Arizona to New Jersey in 1997. The split boots held up fine = for 10 years. Fred67bug

Reply to
fred67bug