using late style turn sig switch with early tail lights

Hi,

Has anybody tackeled this combo of using early tail lights with single

2 fillement light bulb and later style turn signal switch (3 wire). Watson-streetworks
sells aset up of 4 relays. but I cannot quite figure out how this set up wouldwork. Does anybody have an electrical diagram? I would imagine that Iwould have to use 2 flashers as well.

-anton

Reply to
akokarski

Forget all that... get a 3 wire to 2 wire tail light converter meant for running a plain jane trailer (same tail light setup as an old bug tail light) from a vehicle that has a dedicated separate turn signal bulb (which you have with your later style turn signal switch)... this is basically what you are trying to do, I believe! REESE or HOPPY...

PICTURE OF UNIVERSAL KIT BY HOPPY:

Amazon.com link to orderable item:

Any holiday camper / trailer dealership should stock something like this... Also most auto parts stores, etc. It's a really common item, but is perfect for this application.

Reply to
Red Bug

The trailer adapter kits do all this since it's installed back at your existing taillights, and the emergency flasher vs. turn signal mode is handled up front. There's no additional wire coming to the back of the car for the emergency flasher circuit... only the one wire for left and one wire for right by the time you are at the back by the taillights. That's two wires... one more for the brake filament (common to both left and right sides)... that's the third wire... Hence the reason why it is referred to as a 3 wire to 2 wire adapter. There's no change for the running light cct. of course -- it can be left as is...

Hence, the trailer kits are perfectly suitable for this job... It's just that instead of a trailer plug, he'd use the adapter kit to run classic tail lights with their dual filament bulbs like on my '61... I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work like a charm and they're cheap and reliable... all solid state -- no relays. Two of the more common brands are HOPPI and REESE. It assumes a 12V setup (no problem there) and you also need to tap into a supply of 12V power somewhere (either run it all the way to the battery or access 12V from the engine wiring).

Reply to
Red Bug

Hi,

Here is the full story why in the word I am want to get mismateched components working together. about 6 months ago I bought a 64 bug which was nicely customised but who ever did the work didn't follow through and left things unfinished. One of the was electrical system, my turn signals are my arms :) at the moment. My 64 is sporting nice set of early tailights with one dual fillament bulb however those were not original and they require use of early style 6 wire turn signal switch. I wasn't about to spend $120 + on a new turn signal switch since mine works OK but just isn't hoocked up. So instead I wanted to do this with a set of relays. I mostly had it figured out except for break canceling out turn and etc. After posting my original message I indirectly found the schematics at

(check out this site ithas a lot of very good tech info). The schematics mostly worked for meexcept for the part that the relays depicted in the picture are dualnot single switching. This schematics work perfectly I just need tohook up my turn signal wires instead of break. Thank you all for replying

Anton

P.S. If anybody interested in schematics for 4 relay set up let me know and I will post it somewhere.

Reply to
akokarski