TAIL LIGHTS WON'T TURN OFF (1993 Pickup)

I awoke from a nap to discover my tail lights on. I checked to see if the lights had been activated by me, but they were turned off. I checked the brake peddle to make sure it wasn't, and that wasn't it. I switched the fuses and that did nothing. I couldn't figure out why the damn tail lights won't turn off. I eventually unhooked the battery to keep it from draining. Now I have to hook up the battery when ever I need to strt the truck. Anyone got a clue as to why this is happening? This is a first for me.

Reply to
RebelYeller3

Do your brake lights still work? Have trailer wiring?

Reply to
Jim

Pull the plug off the brake light switch which is located in pedal area and see if lights go out. If so the switch if frozen closed.

Reply to
Ron

yep thats it.. the little switch that open and closes when you apply the brake pedal.. pretty cheap part.. autozone or napa should have one...

my 95 pickup had a front headlight that wouldnt come on by itself.. had to replace the whole blinker-headlights asybl. on the coloumn.. pretty easy just cost 75.00

Reply to
WWE 4 Life

What's more likely is the plastic button (that snaps in a hole in the pedal) that pushes on the switch is missing. The switches almost never go bad.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks to all who have helped me with this problem. Yep, Steve is right on the money, it was the little plastic button on the arm of the brake pedal that was the culprit. It had broken off. A neighbor of mine gave me a short bolt and a nut with a couple washers to place in the hole and so far so good.

Reply to
RebelYeller3

It won't ever do is again, not with the brake light anyway! If the cruise ever stops working, there is a plastic button for that switch as well.

Reply to
Steve T