head light switch, tail lights won't turn off

I have a 1993 Honda Civic DX two door. I need to replace the light switch located in the steering wheel column. I am doing this because the tail light won't turn off and I checked all the fuses and am left with this as the problem. This car has an airbag. I would like to know if I have to remove the steering wheel and if so do I need any special tools? Is this a difficult task and is my assessment correct? Is their a website with any information on how to do this?

Lex

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

My Ford never gave me problems like that.

Reply to
Spaz

Courtesy of Autozon Repair Guide.

1992-95 Models

WARNING All SRS wire harnesses are covered with a yellow insulation. Read the SRS precautions found in this section and install the short connectors as described.

  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SRS system.

  1. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

  2. Disconnect the 4-pin and 7-pin connectors from the switch.

  1. Remove the switch retaining screws and slide the switch from its mount.

To install:

  1. Install the new switch in position and connect the electrical leads.

  1. Install the upper and lower steering column covers.

  2. Disconnect the short connectors and connect the negative and positive battery cable.
Reply to
Alan

Some recommendations on disabling the air bag include disconnecting the battery and removing SRS fuses and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes before proceeding. I don't know if it is actually necessary but when you are going to be working next to an explosive device a little extra precaution doesn't hurt.

Patrick

Patrick and Alan tahnks for the help, Lex

Good point.... that's why I still have my catcher's mask from pony league.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, the 10-15 minutes IS necessary. The SRS system will stay active after power is cut for a short amount of time. Reason being: If you collide with something and the battery is destroyed or power is otherwise cut, you still want the airbag to deploy if necessary. It all happens very fast, but the data recorder will function and order the bag to go off until the capacitors drain (correct verbage?).

Reply to
NHAnimator

One of my friends has a Ford whose radio never shuts down, even if you switch your ignition off. That's why he had to do some wiered things (I don't remember because I did not have car that time and hence did not care about that) in order to prevent the battery from draining down.

Reply to
ExtremeValue

The Final Solution:

So I got some interesting and good news. I hope this will help others. My initial diagnosis was incorrect. The tails lights I thought initially was on but I was wrong. Upon closer examination I noticed with someone stepping on the brake that the lights would not change so it was the brake lights that were on. I had to check for sure by replacing the bulb in the middle of the rear window to see if this stays on, and it did. Some of the things that made this diagnosis difficult was due to day light. I did it during the day and all the bulbs were not functional.

I disconnected the wires from the light switch to see if that would disable the lights, and it did not. So it was obvious that was not the problem, because that had nothing to do with the brakes but I wanted to check for some stupid reason. The next thing I did was look at the brake peddle to see how the brake light switch works. There is this little black button that is pressed when the brake pedal is not pressed. When you press the brakes it allows the button to push out and turn the lights on. So I placed my screwdriver between the pedal and the button and took a look at the light. The lights were off. I knew then that the brake switch worked and my diagnosis is precise. Upon close examination of the brake pedal I noticed a hole in the pedal. I though something has to go there that pushes against the button. So I went to the junk yard and looked and there it was a little rubber triangle shaped piece. I popped it out and placed it in the Honda Civic and everything is good.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Honda subsystems are reliable and I am happy this was so simple.

Lex