VM 1303 5 ignition sequence and cabling

Hello, I'm trying to help my father fix my sisters old VW, a 1303 beetle. However, we have no manuals, and we don't know which cylinder is which on the motor. The proper ignition sequence is indicated on the engine block, but we can't tell which cylinder is which on the engine, since the few odd xeroxed pages from some manuals disagree. The engine runs, but misfires alot.

I've tried looking, but couldn't find any info already posted. I'm sorry if I missed something obvious. Could someone please help me out?

Best regards Martin Persson Sweden

Reply to
xarragon

If you are looking at the engine from he rear of the car you are looking at what is referred to as the back of the engine. Front of engine is the flywheel side. From the rear, on the right you have 1 and

2 cylinders from front to rear. Left hand side you have 3 and 4 cylinders, front and rear respectively. If you are already running you are probably just off timing. You gan google search your timing setting or post year and engine model on the forum here and someone can give you the right timing point. Have fun.

Joel Bartlett

Reply to
jtbartlett

You could definitely be running with the firing order off. I know I've accidentally gotten a pair of wires switched before. The normal order is

1-4-3-2, IIRC. You should be able to see a notch on the top of the distributor, if you take the cap off, indicating #1. The other wires just follow in order clockwise from there.
Reply to
Michael Cecil