1997 Jetta Turbo Diesel

I have come across a 1997 Turbo Diesel (not TDI) that is 5 speed,

120,000 km's, one owner, no rust, drives nice, etc. I am replacing my 93 Golf, and do want to go diesel.

Timing belt just done, exhaust from manifold back is new, has air, new brakes, new tires, comes with snow tires. Little sluggish with the low HP of the TD, but no big deal. It does still have 40,000 km's left on its factory powertrain warranty.

It is a dealer trade, and the price has me thinking it is high, as it is $11900 Canadian, which seems a couple of thousand high.

Any thoughts? Any opinions on the car?

Thanks, Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Here in the US the powertrain warranty was 10years/100,000 miles for the first owner, all others were 5years/50,000mile.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Go to

and look for VW Jetta Diesel 1997, they range from $4k to $8k Canadian, so $11900 is definitely high. I would say $7K seems more realistic.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

If I did the math right, 120,000 KMS is (75000 miles).

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Offer mid to high 6's and do go above 8 grand... It's a Mark 3 diesel, and it's not a TDI... there is nothing special about this car.... Highest i've seen is a bit over 9000 for a 1998/9 Jetta GT.

My 1999.5 Golf GLS, fully loaded with all the repairs this Jetta has had (tires, brakes, timing belt, suspension, and new catalytic converter) is only worth 12-13 grand max, in Southern Ontario.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Glenn, I would check this car out very carefully. It is rare to find a 8 year-old diesel with only 120,000 kms on it. Most people that bought these, bought them to drive. My 95 Golf TD has 315,000 kms, for example. Low mileage diesels beg the question - Why?

If you are in Ontario make sure you get a Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). The dealer is not obliged to give you one, but just get the VIN and go buy it. It is $20 and gives all previous owners amd other information.

Mk3 diesels are good cars. Especially for commuting or highway travel. Not the fastest out there, but they are reliable. You have to watch out for the bolt that holds the bottom pulley for the timing belt on the crankshaft. They MUST be replaced if the pulley is removed. If they are not they will back out and the belt comes off. These are an interference engine, so if that happens the head is destroyed for sure and sometimes more.

$11,900 is more than a couple thousand high. I would day it is at least $4000 too much.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

I had a 97 Jetta TD (southern Ontario) before the first of my A4 TDIs. The TD in the 97 offers neither the performance NOR THE ECONOMY of the A4 TDI.

The 97 TD was a trouble free car, but I got around 43MPG (imperial gallons) with it compared to 51-52 MPG out of the A4 TDIs (all 5spd manuals). Of all of the VW turbo diesels I've had (7 now, going back to 1984) the 97 was the worst for fuel consumption. In fact, my 05 TDI Passat gets about the same mileage, but with TONS more power, more weight, and with automatic tranny.

If you (original poster) considering this car because of the fuel economy, I'd suggest trying to find a TDI instead.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Al, I know the Mk3 TD's are not as thrifty as some, but I routinely used to get 53-55 mpg (Imp.) cruising at 120 km/h (3200 rpm) in my Golf.

Sounds like your Jetta was really thirsty.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

I'm not talking about the mileage for a particular trip or situation, I don't put much credence in that. Heck, my TDI Passat gets AMAZING mileage in some situations. I measure fuel economy by taking the total distance travelled over a long time (like a year or 2) divided by the total fuel used over the same period. You've gotta count the times you spend stuck in traffic, idling at lights, etc. as well as the "good" hiway trips.

If I told you my Passat gets over 60MPG cruising is that meaningful? I think the more useful stat is that over 5 months and 10,000 KM the Passat is getting in the low 40s.

Anyway what I was trying to say is that over 24 months and about

50,000KM the 97 TD got 42-43 MPG (imperial). Yes, that's about the same as the Passat 2.0 TDI. The Passat is bigger and heavier, has way more power, and is an auto rather than manual. And still the Passat delivers about the same economy as the 97 TD.

The TDI (1.9 or 2.0) is by far the better engine.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

No question the TDI is a better engine, but not everyone has the money to get into a 97 and up Jetta or a Golf with a TDI (2000 and up?). The 97-98 Jetta's with TDI's are sought by many for their combination of TDI power and lighter Mk3 chassis, so re-sale can be quite high.

I haven't bothered tracking all my fuel use and mileage like you. I was referring to a year's worth of commuting 230 km a day. This included some city driving and idling, but mostly highway.

The 1.9 TD does not get as much respect as the 1.6 TD's from the early 90's or the New TDI's, but it is still a reliable and thrifty power plant.

Get's better mileage than my Explorer!!

DC

Reply to
David Cotie