Vw repair boook

Anyone read the how to keep your volkwagon alive book. Is it good. Or will a Chiltons do.

Reply to
DogDiesel

"How to keep your Volkswagen alive" is entertaining but also flawed. The Robert Bentley series, Haynes or Chiltons are more correct and informative on details.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

The Chilton's manual is not all that good.

The How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive book explains things well in layman's terms. But he recommends things like disconnect and disable the choke and let it idle to warm up for 5 minutes both of which most do not agree with. It is a quite helpfull book. I used it and the Hayne's manual to rebuild a Type 1 engine a long time ago.

These are good books to have:

Official Service Manual

\ Hayne's Manual
How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive by John Muir
These are really good =91how to=92 videos:

Bug Me Video DVDs, Complete Set of Vol 1 - 7

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 3 Complete Engine Rebuild
Tech sites:

Jim Ed

Reply to
Jim Ed

Here is a link to the Bug Me Video VW Complete Engine Rebuild

Jim Ed

Manual

Rebuild

Here is a link to the Bug Me Video VW Complete Engine Rebuild

I grabbed a Chilton. To get familiar. Nobodies going to let me crawl all over their VW,. I got one friend with one and he gets a little peeved if you leave the seat back.

Id love to get the Bug me series. But they are stupidly expensive even used. Considering now you can put the whole thing on one or two DVDs.

Reply to
DogDiesel

it's the knowledge you pay for, not the dvd's or vhs's... "stupidly expensive" is all relative to what it's worth to the individual... there is a difference between price and value...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I had them all, they are well worth the money and then some. Especially if you have a laptop with a DVD player, you can take it to the car and it's like having an instructor right next to you showing how it's done. While you are AT the car. And he won't get mad if you pause and rewind him.

Plus the bugmevideos were made by a fellow VW enthusiast, a good friend to many of us (Rick Higgins and his family). Support a honest, sincere effort to help us all. They spent a lot of money and research time to make a good quality video.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I have to agree here. There are tips in the videos that are not anywhere else. It is also great to "see" the different parts. If it wasn't for those DVDs I'd never have figured out that I have a '71 steering column in my '75 and would need a '71 turn signal switch! The floorpan and heater channel replacement are great too.

The only thing better would be to have and experienced VW mechanic/body man on hand for ALL your repairs!

Buy the videos as you need them, or save up and get a discount when you buy a set. Skip the TypeIV videos if you don't plan on installing a TypeIV motor in your car.

Reply to
Ashman40