Does the Fuel Tank have to have an Internal Filter?

Does the fuel tank have to have an internal filter?

And

My Beetle=92s fuel tank has the POR coating.

Currently it has a filter right below the tank and in between the fuel pump and carb.

I was thinking of removing those two and putting a fuel filter in the fuel hose over the left heater box.

Would one filter be enough without the internal screen filter in the tank?

Thanks In Advance!

Reply to
Jim Ed

In my opinion, no the tank filter is not absolutely necessary. An inline filter SECURED IN PLACE somewhere else where it's easy to access, is a good idea. Don't leave one flopping around, supported only by the fuel line itself. And don't put the filter anywhere near hot exhaust parts. Any hose connection and fitting is a potential leak spot.

Also don't put a filter on the pressure side of the fuel pump. Only on the suction side. The fuel pumps have a built-in filter screen in them too. Some OEM pumps are serviceable, most aftermarket pumps are sealed.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I thing the main function of internal filter is to protect the fuel tap (and fuel lines) from clogging.

At least the old models (like mine) quite easily collect some flying debris into tank while fueling in a windy day, the filler hole is quite big.

Not really a problem in later models (or vans) where the filler is in the side of the car and then one filter is surely enough when there's no rust/debris in the tank, POR15 is good stuff.

Tell us, how did you get it into tank evenly? Just poured a lot of it in?

I've one in van just in that position. Hard to change but not too visible either and lot of room, I could use a big filter. Small in-line filters clog quite easily if there's a lot of debris (usually rust) in tank.

Reply to
Tuomas

Tell us, how did you get it into tank evenly? Just poured a lot of it in?

I disconnected the battery, drained the tank, and removed the tank.

I followed all the directions for each of the steps.

When I finally got to the part where I added the coating, I poured it in, and tipped the tank back and forth to and fro so that it would be coated evenly. A little can goes a long way. There was a little left over in the can so I used a small brush and painted a little around where the fuel gauge sender goes and where the filler neck is attached. I applied it about 8 years ago I think and it is still holding up OK.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I think I will eventually install a new wire mesh or plastic tank filter and remove the filter under the tank.

Reply to
Jim Ed