VW Smells bad

Just bought a 1970 VW Beetle Autostick. It stinks! As in really smells bad inside. It's very dirty. Are there any tricks to cleaning this thing, or just use a basic all purpose cleaner?

Reply to
Elkmor

well, what is the cause? try setting a bucket of water/vinegar in the car whenever you're not driving it. or maybe sprinkling baking soda around and then vacuuming it up. good luck.

Reply to
Crusader george

If it's biological odor (dog pee, sweaty guy, etc.), use Shout stain remover. It has an enzymatic effect that reduces or eliminates such odors.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

:( I hope it is not from dampness in the insulation/sound-proofing behind the back seat. In that case, removing and replacing is necessary. If it belonged to a smoker, you might have issues with the headliner, too.

Oh, and every time I've taken apart old Bug seats I've found Dead Things like baby mice in the stuffing, but they are usually all dried up and odorless... enough.

(Anyone remember that Seinfeld episode about car BO? Terrifying! :))

Reply to
2

Yep. Dampness can create mold growth not only behind the back seat, but in the frt/rear seat padding, in door panels, in headliner, etc.

And it is *very* difficult to eradicate. Masking it with odor killers is not the answer.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
george taylor

My 1966 beetle went under 4 feet of salt water during hurricane katrina and it doesnt stink... well the whole thing SUCKED, but the car was hosed out with fresh water and allowed to dry out and it doesnt stink.... go figure...

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen