VW Van Fire

In the mid 90's, I had replaced the fuel hoses on my 78 bus 2 years before, and one day I was messing around in teh engine bay and happened to focus my attentiuon to a minor leak in one of teh virtually new hoses. I bent the hose 90 degrees and it cracked in half like a dry stick. No flexibility left. Can't trust anything these days.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I've found that the best, most long lasting fuel lines that I have used to date are generally found at the local VW agent. I forget the P/N, but the hoses seem to stay flexible, even 5 years later...

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

................What is so stupid about using a little 'better safe than sorry' preventative maintenance? Hose are easy to replace and inexpensive. I wish I was as smart and conscientious as Howard. We could all learn from him, in my opinion.

stupid timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Here's my attempt at a bulkhead fitting. The stock setup is a rubber grommet where that line passes through the tin. After it drys out and gets hard, it falls out. Leaving the tin to quickly saw through the fueld line. Guess what happens next.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-245F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

You have both missed and made Bob's point.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

yup...that is exactly what i was thinking as i sat here laughing a bit....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

metal tubing is what the factory put there, and also what the converstation is

*about*....so i guess "stupid is, as stupid does"....do try and keep up, or at least sit quietly and nod your head as if you were actually understanding...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

No - the conversation was about replacing the RUBBER tubing annually.

Which I still think is stupid.

It's not a bad idea to check for fuel leaks every time you LOOK back there.

But to make a statement like change the hoses annually is just plain stupid.

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

Reply to
Oldbie

I got one of the big beer-can size halon extinguishers before they were outlawed. Fits in the glove box.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I did not want to be the one to say it... And I use screw clamps on the ends.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Mine looks like a small square can with two studs sticking up. The can may have tabs to screw down to the chassis, cut the red wire that connects the battery to the regulator. Crimp on connectors, and put the re-setable breaker in-line. Mine was about $7.50 a year ago at my FLAPS.

See Bob Hoovers excellent sermon on making electrical connections. I'd post a link if I had one.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

The breaker I have is for auto use. I have another one in the power side of the electric trailer brake controller on my big pickup.

Go to your local parts store, and ask to see their selection of resetable breakers. My FLAPS had a dozen or so different sizes.

Just when I was getting my bug back running, I stupidly connected the coil plus wire, and the condenser wire together. I was setting the timing, with the key on. When I turned the dist to where the points closed, that created a dead short through the ingition and points to ground. The distrubitor started smoking, then I head a distinct Click from under the back seat. The breaker had opened saving my just installed complete wiring harness.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Oh Bob...... where is your sermon of VW fires.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

which stemmed from the real subject of the front tin cutting through the

*metal* tubing and causing a gasoline fed fire

very true...i agree 100%...and if the oil "looks" clean you don't need to change it either...reguardless of mileage or time.....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

.............Chris, this new sarcastic approach is just killing me.

LOL!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

.....................What about bypassing a worn out ignition switch that is hard to find and even harder to install?

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

That's really stupid !

PS: I like your new kind of spelling - guard , reguard - hahaha.

(At least you didn't say "irregardless").

Reply to
Oldbie

Reply to
Oldbie

Reply to
Braukuche

im sorry mr. english teacher....that "u" was actually part of another statement that got misplaced....it was in the "f*ck yoU" message that i left out...