Well and truely up the creek?

Pix on the way, Mike

Reply to
Busahaulic

Honest! There was no description on that page when I clicked on it this afternoon. I thought that someone had posted a link to an unfinished page. Then I saw that John C was the poster. I clicked on "Add to my order" and saw only one entry and it was "Type 1 Big Valve Heads" - no specs. Now there are two entries, with specs, and the price moved from $300/pr to $330/pr.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:05:36 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" ran around screaming and yelling:

hehe...the description is costing you 30 bucks....LOL.. JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It's the "unported" part that is giving me pause.

"Unlanded" means that the parts have not cleared Customs. But "unported" probably doesn't mean that the ship has not yet docked. Instead, it has an ominous "you better have a machine shop" sound to it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Gee, and I am just about to pull a 1776 motor with a bad head, but a great case, out of my baja and have no place to keep it. I am swapping in a bigger motor so I am looking to unload this one. I am north of Seattletacomametroplex. Any Ideas, suggestions, offers....???????

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

It simply means they are great for a stock engine, but will be a limiting factor for an all out performance job, unlike yours.... Sounds like a very fair price for a pair of heads..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

On Thu, 27 May 2004 07:40:21 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" ran around screaming and yelling:

nah...what porting is is when the intake/exhaust ports are modified to flow *more* air and fuel...such as in a hot street or race application...not needed on a 1776, especially in a bus...you need low end and porting usually moves the power band upward...don't freak...the heads JC linked you to would be awesome for you... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks, that's good to hear. Once I complete my compression testing tomorrow (air compressor --> pressure regulator --> pressure gage --> cylinder @ TDC, still waiting for the Harbor Freight two-gauge unit to arrive) I'll have a better sense of how knackered these heads and valves and rings and other stuff are. Busahaulic is kindly loaning me his beloved ring tools, which I think are going to come in handy as hand-pumping air into Cylinder #4 results in hissing sound from oil filler neck.

Never wanted to have to dig so deeply into this engine that I'd be pulling the jugs, but the times they have a-change-ed. I may as well get the compression ratio into a reasonable range while I am at it. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Knowing that John C has the heads does give me a nice sense of having a fallback position.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Rocky,don't be so doom and gloom.You live in the center of the VW aftermarket!Option include 1.Replace heads with stock rebilts opened up to

Reply to
ilambert

Aw, that was my first reaction to a messed up engine -- my plans had shifted from doing one set of things (shopping, house projects) to another set -- repairing/replacing engine. I was thrown off track. And, being a newbie, ready to throw in the towel and hand it over to a shop. Luckily I talked out of that. Now that the engine is apart I'm enjoying the process of diagnosing and learning and other stuff.

Apparently John C. has 'em for $330/pair.

2.Replace P&Cs with either1600s or 1650s,then use stock rebuilt

That's another good option. I figure I'll do my amateur mechanic's best at repairing first. Valves do not seem to be leaking, though I'm uncertain about the pistons yet (see my posting "Wonderbus's Cylinders"). I'm going to take the time to measure and adjust the CR's while I am at it -- why not? If I get a bunch of miles out of it as a result, I'll be happy. Then I'll either get a new Puebla engine, redo to heads/P&C's on this one, or sell the bus and get another.

Oh yeah, like I planned that. Just asked the dumb questions is all I did. He's like a Zen teacher. He gives a lesson. The student gets to speak. If the student shows that he did not "get it" the teacher smacks him on the side of the head with his stick, tells him he is a fool, and sends the student away to think about it. Side of my head is getting sore.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Ay kids,

Every now and then something comes down the pike that seems just totaly out of wack or impossible to even think something like this can be possible.Well my friends I came across this product that is way ahead of its time. I kid you not.Ordered mine and I biting at the bit to try it on for size. If getting up to or possibly more than 20% better gas milige, having your car engine decarbonize and most importantly next to near nothing in emissions? Then I suggest you go to this guys webs site and read up on it to see how. NO it is NOT an additive. It's the cutting edge technology device known yet.I challenge you to check the website out, I told the guy I would help him out, and get ready to be absolutely amazed.Here ya go:

Be Bless, Pete

Reply to
Pete

[...]

.................This is what absolute freedom of speech looks like.

.......sigh

Reply to
Tim Rogers