What about the new gas?

Ok, ok now some reality. I just got back from an 800 mile run using E-85 only and got 1mpg better miliage on the trip than the same run using regular gas on the same trip a few months ago with my Ford Sport trac. Yes, the Puma will run on E-85. I have to much carb for a 1600 to run right on regular so the car likes the alcohol with the webers.

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

.......According to fordvehicles.com, your 4600 lb. Sport Trac gets about 21 mpg on the highway. That's actually not too bad for a five passenger truck with a 4'x5' cargo bed and is rated for towing more than 5000 lbs.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Tim, I am just sharing the truth about what I'm doing and have done in "real world situations". My Sport trac does not get their rated mileage becuse I tow so I had it ordered with the 4.11 rear end gears, limited lock and the 4 wheel drive option (yes, the two wheel was standard). Remember, this is real world. Now for some of the other opinions that are treated as fact. All of the vehicles I have owned since 1979 have ran better on E-10. They have had no change at all to their tune ups or anything else. Better mileage and more power. I have owned Approx 12 cars and trucks including all the ACVWs during this period. I have used E-85 in my Sport trac as much as possible (E-85 is not available in all areas yet). It has started without problem with temps as low as 0 degrees F. I have much more towing power although the mileage drop is huge depending on the weight towed. I towed approx 4000 lbs 380 miles and got 11mpg. As far as btu's per gallon, I would guess that would depend on how much of it is used by your vehicle's engine in the cylinder or how much is burned by your converter. A lot of myths are treated as fact. My wife said that a lot of you guys are "book smart" and "door knob dumb".

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

..............At 11 mpg, I'm not sure what it is that E-85 is accomplishing for you other than lower emissions and more $$$$ for Archer Daniels Midland instead of Exxon.

.........I don't doubt that E-10 is a practical alternative to straight gasoline but how is it that these subsidies make any sense when that money is going from the tax payers to Archer Daniels Midland in addition to the actual price at the pump? Did you know that the Brazilians can't export alcohol for fuel to the USA because there's a 54 cents per gallon tariff on it? It doesn't take too much book learning to figure out who's behind that.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'm convinced that no matter who we elect, we're screwed. Wish there was a vialble 3rd party option just to send a message. Andy

Reply to
Busman

At 11mpg towing 4000 lbs vs 14 mpg with regular I am gaining a vehicle that shifts down less, an engine that runs easier and is easier to drive with a noticeable increase of power. Anyway I cannot imagine anyone who would rather send their fuel money to the countries who finance the people we are fighting rather than to the people who grow crops that can be distilled to run our vehicles in our own country. Must be more of that book learning, eh?

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma