What is this? (seriously - found in float bowl)

One of the Kadrons has been on-and-off working and last night it was very bad.

It is getting plenty of fuel to the bowl. I removed the top and the bowl is floating (not sunk) and appears good. Then I took it out, sucked out the gas and found this in the bottom of the bowl.

This:

What is it?

Didn't find any good pics on the 'net.

John the Stupid

Reply to
john

I don't know anything much about Carburetors.. could it be the piece that holds the float in place? Covers the hinge pin?

Reply to
Andrew

That's it, it goes on top of the float hinge, preventing it from rising up when the fuel level rises. Without it, the float assembly would rise evenly, instead of pivoting on the stationary hinge as it's supposed to do. It would change the fuel level in the carb bowl by a tiny amount.

I'm 99.99% sure :)

Jan

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
Jan

Yes, that is exactly what it is. The carb is back together. It turns out it wasn't the problem.

Thanks, Andrew!

Reply to
john

You are 100% correct!

Reply to
john

Looks like the left hand of a do-it-yourself mechanic. You might want to go for some gloves so you can avoid cuts like the ones on your index finger.

you can see they come in many attractive color combinations. Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

I had to smile when I read that. Of course you can't see that the thumb on my left hand was amputated and reattached, and my right hand looks even worse. Many years of wrenching as a stupid klutz, and also being a house framer before nail guns has taken its toll on the old hands.

Thanks for the link. Quite seriously, I will consider gloves. But one question - what happens when they get oily? Brake fluid, engine oil, all that? Can they be washed normally? I'll get two pair.

'xcuz me but right now I gotta pull the bull's bad molar. No animal tranks so it's gonna to have to be straight up. I work so much better on animal tranks. So I'm off... hood prop, slam-hammer, gear puller, hooks sharpened, bent a little more. Wait for the bull to mount that cow, get him by surprise. That's the ticket.

Reply to
john

I can't speak from experience about the $22 Mechanix gloves. I use disposable latex gloves (I pretend I'm a surgeon - an automobile doctor) that come 100 to a box.

For 20+ years I didn't use anything on my hands. I would hold dirty parts in my left hand and spray them with an aerosol can of carburetor cleaner, hoping I didn't get any on my fingers. I would wash my hands immediately when that did happen, but unlike water, that kind of solvent can pass through your skin and do bad things to your body.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

I also use disposable gloves, but not Latex. I used Latex many years ago untill I developed an allergy to latex(Quite common).

So Nitiril it is now, higly recommendable, comes in boxes of 100's. The quality does vary a bit, but once you get the good ones you can actually use them several times before they tear.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

"P.J.Berg" schreef in bericht news:op.ubp6jvcsnnsvvw@cm-84.208.86.10.getinternet.no...

I've used them too, (dunno if they where actually latex) but when i used carbcleaner the stuff went right through it... So only usefull (to me) for not getting greasy hands.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Latex or rubber gloves? Like they use for rectal exams? Eeeuuuu!

I'll look for the manly mechanics gloves. Something with a design that says, "Man Working!". 'course, that's after I get the present bleeding under control. Until then I'll just wrap my fingers with those things that come with a string. What are they called? Tampons. Yeah, that's it. Wrap me fingers in tampons.

Reply to
john

Hmmm ... and I thought it was a wrench for extremely small nuts and bolts.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer