Couple swingaxle questions

I'm helping swap out a transaxle in a 1964 beetle. The replacement unit had axles that were a bit shorter than the ones that came out of the vehicle, so I was recruited to swap over the axles and also change one backing plate that had a broken off brake adjuster 'finger'.

So I have the tubes installed, first I checked the fit of th empty tube and used 3 gaskets on one side and 4 on the other to make it feel 'right', which to be me was no endplay between the tube and the transaxle case with the plastic thrust piece installed, and no excessive effort to move the hollow axle tube. Good so far, right?

Next item was to install fulcrum plates, spacer, snap ring, put RTV on the gasket stack, and button up the side cover. Gal is on a budget, fulcrum plates looked like crap on one edge only, so I flipped em over so the not-chewed-up side would get loaded for forward motion now. I kept the axles in the same position(passenger side to passenger side, etc). Hopefully she can get a few miles more out of it. So far, so good.

Next up was to reseal the nosecone area, the bushings for the shift rod are still tight and inside the cover was clean, so I wiped the sealing surfaces with some solvent and put the new gasket in with RTV.

Next up, install the boots, which is in process. I would have gone the non-split boot route but I am not tooled up to press anything apart so I had to go with the split boots.

I have two gasket sets for the backing plates. In each kit there are two paper gaskets, a lip seal, two o-rings, a cotter key and a thin washer. I know where the o-rings go, and I know where one gasket goes. I didn't see a gasket between the backing plate and the axle tube when I took things apart, is there supposed to be a gasket there? And where does the thin washer go?

Last question..the wheel bearing on one side did not have a plastic insert. The other side did have a plastic insert, but it was facing outward when I removed it and Muir says the plastic insert is supposed to face in. Does it matter?

TIA,

Chris

Reply to
halatos

This is a critical part of the assembly, because if the o-rings / gaskets / washers are not installed in the correct order, there will be transmission oil leak at the backing plate, eventually contaminating the brakes.

First fit the one paper gasket on the axle tube, before you place the backing plate.

Then put the large o-ring arround the bearing and over the paper gasket. Slightly pre-lubricate the o-ring with transmission oil, to avoid damaging it when tightening things up.

Then install the small / soft washer, on the axle shaft, against the bearing inner race. This washer is usually stamped, and from one side the edges are smooth, while on the other side the edges are sharp. Put the sharp edges towards the bearing.

Then install the small o-ring (prelubricated with thransmision oil) over the washer.

Next comes the cylindrical spacer. Before installation, wipe smooth the outer circumference with a fine grit abrasive paper. You want this surface smooth, as the axle oil seal bears on this surface. Clean and lubricate the spacer, and insert it on the axre shaft. From the one side, this spacer is milled to create space for the small o-ring. Put this side towards the o-ring.

Check the bearing cover. The seal should be in good condition (or new) and there should be a larger washer towards the outer side of the cover. Clean the small drain hole on the bottom, and the respective hole on the backing plate.

Install the backing plate, carefully not to chew the large o-ring.

And now intall the bearing cover with the second paper gasket.

You may want to apply a VERY thin bead of RTV on the outer edge of both paper gaskets, as they are usually very thin to seal properly.

You mean the plastic covers to the sides of the bearings? If you only have a cover in one side of the bearing, put it towards the outside, to expose the bearing balls in transmition oil which comes from the inside of the tube. These bearings should not normally have protective covers (used for pre-lubricated bearings running dry).

Regards, Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos