When is rust too far gone??

i have a 1970 vdub beetle.. i don't know too much about it.. its been running great for over 3 years with only a fuel pump change and a carburetor cleaning.. now im starting to see rust.. the latch for my engine lid broke off.. i have rust on the edge of the hood.. etc.. i really love the car but if its going to rust out on me and ill lose the money i would like to turn it into a street legal off road bug.. something i can use as a work transport also (i work 3 days a week)...

im in south fla so humidity is a big factor..

also i have minimal mechanic experience but i would like to start working on my car.. can someone tell me what tools i NEED to have.. i ordered my Hayes manual and "How to keep your VW alive" or whatever its called.. any ways thanks!!

Reply to
franko

First priority: find a friend in the auto body repair business.

Reply to
KWW