Yellow gunk in oil filler tube

I opened up my oil filler tube today, for the first time in a few months, and noticed a huge buildup of this nasty yellow gunk. The car has been running great, and is only about 2,000 miles on the mobile 1

10w30 synthetic oil. Anybody have any idea what this is from, and if it's a problem? Oh yea, it's on a 76 fuel injected beetle. Thanks.
Reply to
jhvw2000

it's water, the engine is likely running too cold. Does it have an operational thermostat?

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

I think the thermostat is operational, I'll have to check it to make sure. Do I just look at the thermostat when the engine is hot to know if it's working?

Reply to
jhvw2000

I'd look at it COLD as well... and make sure it looks different between the two :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When the thermostat is open (the engine receives full cooling), the thermostat bellows fills the whole bracket. When it's cold, you can fit your finger in between the thermostat and the top of the bracket.

The reason for that yellow mayonnaise-looking buildup can also be that you never drive long distances. The engine needs to warm up to normal operating temperature, and STAY there for a fairly long period of time (30 minute drive at least) for the water to really start evaporating. It would help if your crankcase breathing system is open and operational (carburator sucks in air from the crankcase via a tube that conencts the case with the aircleaner, and fresh replacement air enters from behind the crank pulley)

Jan

Reply to
Jan