74' standard wiring!

My dad has a 74' standard that we have been working on, we bought it with no engine, we bought a 1776 from BAP, it has an alternater, do we have to do anything to the wiring on the 74' to make it work with an alternater? becuase i know the most VWs up until around 72 or so used generators still right?

Reply to
Exille

Ben Boyle

car still has this setup and it still works.

wiring changes. I'm sure Speedy Jim can

Thanks, Ben ! :-)

Exille's BAP probably has an internally regulated Alt. Go to the Electrical section of my web site and look for: " Wiring diagram for Type I cars with alternator."

Under the back seat (where the orig Alt regulator was) there will be a Blu wire from the front harness. Splice this to the skinny Red wire which goes to the orig alternator 3-prong plug. Remove old regulator. Connect skinny Red wire (in the 3-prong plug) to D+ on the new Alt.

Done.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

My car still has this setup and it still works.

minor wiring changes. I'm sure Speedy Jim can

Reply to
Exille