1990 245 tranny reverse only

Tranny on my wagon which had a slight slip while at a stop, now only goes in reverse no matter what gear your in, drive, low, nuetral. Any ideas besides the tranny is shot. And I mean like whats shot in the tranny. Ray

Reply to
jacktheboy

May be the link between the shifter lever and the transmission.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

On a Chysler C4 auto box- when you have the symptoms you describe- either reverse, or locked completely, it is always the 1st gear clutch thats knackered.

Could be same with the Volvo unit.?

tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

If you are saying that it still behaves as though it is in "reverse" when the selector is in drive, I second the notion that the linkage is a prime suspect. I'm no tranny expert, but that isn't a normal failure mode.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Bought 90 245 w/180k that only goes in reverse, for $300.00. linkage at shifter broke free. One small C clip to fix it, Had old linkage arm from

83 240 parts car that I got for free.

Love them 240's Thanks to all

Reply to
jacktheboy

Hi John, It sounds like the linkage from the gearshift lever to the transmission got disconnected, either have some one go through the gears while you check under the car, or remove the rubber boot and check. I hope this is your problem, It would be very easy and cheap to fix.

Please post back with your findings.

Reply to
Arnold

Reply to