OLDS '93 tranny problem

I have a 1993 Delta 88 LSS with the 4T60E transmission. It has developed an unusual problem that I hope someone can explain.

During the first 10 miles or so of driving, when I have to come to a stop, the transmission will not downshift to the lowest gear. When I come to a full stop, it acts as if it is in neutral - stepping on the gas just revs the engine. If I wait a while, say 15-60 seconds, it will usually drop back into gear and run normally.

I have discovered that, when this happens, if I move the gear selector to "1" (low gear), it will usually engage right away.

After I've driven 10 or so miles, the problem pretty much goes away. The car has 135,000 miles and the tranny has had a fluid and filter change every three years.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Reply to
doug

When was hte last time you checked your tranny fluid ? The symtoms you describe could be caused by a low fluid level.

Reply to
Mike

The fluid level - as well as color and odor - are fine. Last change was 2 years ago.

Reply to
doug

Suspect low roller clutch. Selecting manual low engages 2-1 manual band to provide engine braking, and puts little or no stress on roller clutch. Overhaul.

Reply to
Kevin

The last time I had a problem like that, I had two problems, both of which were on the "outside" of the transmission.

One was a bad modulator. Since that is an easy "change out," I would try that first. Then I had a synchronizer gear that had been ground down by a burr. That was also able to be removed from the outside of the transmission and replaced.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt