AOD Tranny noise-'87 E150

Our '87 van has developed a whine in the AOD tranny. It occurs only in forward, not reverse. When I shift it into any forward position, with the brakes on, it starts. Not real loud, but enough to concern me. When I takeoff, it is there in 1st, quieter in 2nd, and not audible in 3rd or OD.

The fluid level is ok and is dark red/brown, which it has been for a long while.

Any ideas?

My wife usually drives this vehicle and doesn't know how long the noise has been there.I drove it today for the first time in several weeks and noticed it right away. Thanks.

Reply to
tom

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:39:21 -0400, tom rearranged some electrons to say:

Might want to change the fluid and filter.

Reply to
david

And, how many miles on the transmission (and is it the original one?)

(Fluid/filter change is a good idea...)

Reply to
PeterD