1990 Volvo 760 GLE power seats

The passenger seat in my 760 GLE will not move backwards, only forwards. (Since everyone who gets into my car jiggles the lever forwards and backwards, the seat has gradually moved more and more forwards and is now smashed against the glove box). I was wondering whether someone can walk me through how to check the cables and gears and stuff under the seat myself to figure out what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
sarahcpwilliams

Does the motor run and the seat not move, or does the switch do nothing?

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't have a power passenger seat, but my '87 760GLE has "emergency" adjustment (in case of motor failure). You'll find them on the seat back (both sides of the seat, little hold, a square tool fits in there, very very small!!)... and underneath the side for fore/aft adjustment. At least my seats do, including seat height!!.

Hope that helps, but yes, it is easy to repair the switch contacts. I don't know the colour code to tell you though :(..

Reply to
M.R.S.

Thanks, I'll try looking for emergency adjustments.

Reply to
sarahcpwilliams

Sometimes if you opersate the switch quickly for many, many cycles you can get contact for long enough to move the seat back to a useful position. Usually all that happens to the switches is that the contacts corrode to the point where they won't conduct enough power to operate the seat motor. If you have enough skill and or patience you can remove the switch control panel and and refurbish the switch contacts.

Bob

Reply to
User