Ping: Tom Woods

Tom

Ready to drop the engine, gearbox is out! Any hints and tips, looks awful tight to get a crane through the door and drop the engine!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Try not to drop it! ;)

Take the passenger seat out Take that bar across the top of the carbs out Take the wheels off and drop the front end of the truck right down so that the drums are almost on the floor.

It can be done then! It is a tight fit though!

The point you lift the engine from cannot be central because of the bulkhead behind the seats (you cant angle the lift arm back enough without hitting it). I used a load leveller. Start it off with the hook more towards the front of the engine. Then take the weight. I then removed the engine mounts (think i may have taken the mount itself off the block on atleast one side for ease as i couldnt get the rubber out). Then we wound the load leveller in so that the hook moved backwards - this pulled the engine forwards and off the box. and once it is forward it lifts out easily.

You will need an assistant to help guide the engine while you move the lift.

when refitting remember that you need the hook towards the front of the engine again. it can be a bit tricky getting it on the box again but i managed it by getting it in and then standing inside the cab on the front engine and mauling the engine straight and onto the gearbox while my mate operated the engine lift. I had to keep pushing it back while we dropped the lift down. I was knackered afterwards and my thighs ached for days!

pictorial proof:

i did it on a gravel drive too....

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 29 Oct 2007 03:32:50 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

Provided "not enough officers on the ground" is not regarded as legitimate.

I was talking to a chap I know who's a fireman, he reckons there are as many pen-pushers as there are firemen now, or more. Now, obviously you need some amount of management, in any large organisation, be it police, fire, hospital or whatever.

But it's police on the street that have the biggest effect on crime, firefighters who put out fires and doctors and nurses (and cleaning staff!!) who get people well in hospital, and if the management burgeons at the expense of the people doing the actual work, then it doesn't work any better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

While it would be nice to do away with the need for management, with the increasing amount of red tape and a whole bucketful of new laws introduced every year, they need them just to keep ahead of the beaurocracy...

What we need is a spaceship and round up 50% of the managers and politicians, all of the hairdressers and telephone sanitisers, and send them off to a deserted planet somewhere.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I thought that is what has happened and look at the mess it has created.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry lee, wasnt trying to get at you. Its just annoying how things seem to turn out.

Reply to
Tom Woods