1991 240 Automatic Transmission leak

All was going well with my lovely 240 (US) untill the past week. Sure I was leaking the quart of trans fluid every two weeks or so. But, in the last week the fluid has come gushing out of it-3 qts a day and hits the exhaust creating horrific smoke . It leaks like there is no end. Surely, there is, like the end of the trans.

I see it dripping off a metal line from directly below. I have resigned myself to the worse case scenario-that is- a used or rebuilt trans.

Okay, I guess I have a shop sheck for leakage source?

Also, how do I know if the trans has the notch for the crank sensor or not unless it is removed form the car first?

Advance thanks

Reply to
Novicing

Well, it certainly will be if you keep driving it!

That might not be a bad plan. The likeliest scenario is that a seal has gone bad. The rear seal is somewhat prone to this and is easily (and pretty cheaply replaced). If the leak is up high, then that's more labor and thus more expensive.

My advice is: Top off the ATF. Drive it to your mechanic. Don't drive it again until it is fixed.

Reply to
Tim McNamara