1991-740 wagon radio problems

I live in rainy Victoria BC and have recently started to experience a radio problem.

The left rear storage compartment in my wagon is where the motor for the antenna is. With so much rain lately (and a small leak through a cracked tail light lens!!), the storage compartment was half filled with water! I've drained it and dried everything out and things still work mechanically (ie, the antenna goes up and down), but there is a very loud and annoying noise coming from the radio speakers. All the antenna connections were dry and tight.

Whenever the engine is turned on, I hear a very loud buzzing sound (over the normal station reception), and this is even worse when I operate the electric windows, or when I accelerate.

Does this have anything to do with the antenna or have I been chasing the wrong issue?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
mgb

There is a radio interferrence suppression relay under the hood. If yor car is a non-turbo, it is attached to the frame holcing the coolnt tank on the right hand fender well. If you own a turbo, the relay is in approximately the same position on the left hand fender well.

I would check that item and the connections.

joe

Reply to
Joe D

corrosion on you leads most likely

Reply to
John Robertson

"mgb" wrote in news:VQL7h.332175$1T2.264347@pd7urf2no:

Check the ariel is still connected to the lead for the radio. Also there should be a grommet type thing at the bottow of the well, it has a flap of rubber over a hole to let water drain out. Make sure it's not blocked with debris.

Reply to
Tunku