Hood Will Not Lock on Volvo S90 HELP!!!!

I am hoping that someone here can help me with a hood problem on my Volvo S90. I opened the hood last weekend to do routine maintenance and now it catches the hood latch, but will not lock closed. I cannot even imagine what is causing this problem. Please help!

Warren

Reply to
wmason

Just a shot in the dark, but common enough - is it possible the latch snapped closed when the hood was open so the hood can't engage the catch? If so, having somebody hold the release while you snap it back open with a screwdriver will fix it. Looking at how the latch catches the catch bar on the hood should make it pretty obvious. If it isn't that, you can cycle the latch by pressing down in the latch with a screwdriver and then releasing it as described. Sometimes these things just get out of whack.

My other thought is that something on top of the engine compartment may be preventing the hood from closing all the way. Of course, I've never done that...

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. The latch locks shut, but the hood won't "lock". It's as though the hood release has been pulled, but the latch has not been opened yet. As you suggested, I checked to see if something was preventing it from closing, but it is not. Just simply won't lock.

Warren

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
wmason

Check the release cable housing where it is supposed to fit into a ferrule, at the latch first and at the release lever if that doesn't pan out. Occasionally they will pop out of the ferrule, which acts like it has tightened the cable about a cm. A little wiggle should reseat it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

[ ... ]

Try pushing the release handle back in; the cable may be binding a bit or in need of lubrication.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston