1992 740 leaking coolant

My 1992 740 wagon leaked coolant earlier today. I had the engine running for a few minutes but then turned it off and discovered the coolant on the ground later.

Also, the temp gauge has been in the red at times the past day or two. I replaced the thermostat 6 months ago after the temp gauge had stopped working. That seemed to get it working again. But recently, the needle went into the red and stayed there when idling at a red light. When I got home, I checked the recorvery tank. It was empty and pressurized. The hose leading to the thermostat was hard as a rock and hot as well, naturally. Later, when everything cooled, I opened the recovery tank and found it was still empty but there was a large piece of rubber or plastic inside loose on the bottom. It couldn't fit in the hole at the bottom and, since I wasn't sure what it was, I left it there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Reply to
MarkG

Well get the thing out of the recovery tank first. After that, figure out where the coolant is leaking from. You have to be very careful when it comes to overheating those engines, the aluminum head warps easily then you have a much bigger mess.

Reply to
James Sweet

You need to find out the cause of the leak and fix it before driving the car again.

Reply to
Roadie