1999 S80 Upper Motor Mount

Is that bushing pressed into the aluminum bracket or do it just slip out?

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

I believe it's replaced as a complete unit. It's certainly expensive enough to be the complete thing.

You getting sick of being a member of the '99 club yet?

Reply to
shaun

the 00 s80 i just picked up had them go out & get replaced @ 80,000 miles...the work order noted "thumps and noises coming from the front end"...i gather this is one of the common s80 weak spots or "wear items".....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That sounds more like the strut top mounts rather than top engine mount?

Mine has had "thumps and noises coming from the front end" for the last 2.5 years - nobody can find the cause. Dealer can't be arsed to try. Strut top mounts done. Ball joints ok. Sway bar links ok. All viewable bushes are fine. Only thing I can really think of are subframe bushes but local garage cringes everytime I mention them....

Reply to
shaun

See the mount looks pressed into the aluminum part of the engine. That makes it a garage item for me. I'm not finding much on this car that I can fix myself.

As far as being part of the S80 club... :) I feel like I got kicked in the balls and would like to drive this car through the dealers office and park it on his desk. I bought this car from a guy I thought knew his Volvos.

My first problem was a Brake Failure message, followed by some other bullshit. I stopped in that day after I bought it with this information and the guy told me the messages are idiot lights appearing because I charged the battery.

I was so pissed.

I AM going to send the ABS/STC computer to that guy in CA to fix for $130. I'm waiting for an E5 Torx bit I bought on Ebay. I want to see if that fixes the random nonsense with powersteering, STC, ABS, and Brake Failure Lights. If not, my next guess will be a vacuum booster.

I'm also pissed about the solenoid in the transmission.

I paid $9,995 for S80 (97,100 miles) and traded a decent 1994 Isuzu Trooper that really just needed an exhaust system. The Trooper NEVER gave me any problems and it had 187,000 miles.

So, now you know my story -- I'm going to have a drink to relax.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

i hear a lot of folks complaining about the volvo dealer service....i plan on sticking w/independent volvo shops, w/mechanics i know and trust...DECON...have you found any books or repair manuals to be helpful, if so...which ones?

thanx....richard / colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

It's attached to the top of the engine with 4 large bolts (2 of which are hidden under the plastic cover that runs across the top of the engine). Prolly means removing some of the turbo plumbing to get the cover off. Mechanicals wise you can work on it without too much trouble. Electrical wise just forget it....

Yeah - you and me both. Everytime it goes to the dealership (which isn't very often now) it's like "yeah - bend over"

That can happen.

Being in UK I had to get it replaced rather than repaired. It cured the "Brake Failure", STC, ABS, "Gearbox Service", Airbag warnings and non working speedo.

Tried getting it flushed?

Get ready for blowing bulbs, door lock gremlins, suspension noises, wheel bearings, dipstick being blown out of tube, radiator fan module (now covered under recall). Oh, and do your utmost to avoid breaking the headlamp glass - it's a bumper removal to fix....

Enjoy your drink :-S

Reply to
shaun