2001 S80 transmission question

Purchased new in late 2000. Now has approx 90,000 mi.

Transmission is slipping in low gear and reverse upon startup but drives normally after a block or so. Car has always made unpleasant engine/trans noises since new - a fact that I hadn't analyzed but assumed had something to do with belt-driven cam and/or FWD or a combination of both. Nonetheless I accepted it as normal for the car and lived with it. Now it seems to be slightly worse.

The other day I started car and backed up a few feet and it seemed to pop out of reverse, signaled by a clunk noise and then not moving. I moved lever into park and then back into reverse and it worked normally.

Any experience out there?

Reply to
Padraig

Nonetheless