'91 Bonneville Transmission Question

Hey all. I still have the 1991 Bonneville SSE with the 3.8L V6 and the auto transmission. The car has around 197,000 KM's (not miles).

Tonight, I drove it for around 30 mins and slowed down to take a left turn. When I pressed the gas to speed up again, I heard a 'clunk' and all it will do is rev (it did this a couple of times in the past month, but it would only rev once or twice, then it would clunk and move). At first, the car would still move, though not very fast. I managed to get onto a hill, shifted it into 1st and got it going, then I switched it into 2nd and I was able to get up to around 60 KM/h, but as soon as she coasted to a halt, that is where she stayed. As of now, it will not move at all except in Reverse. None of the forward gears are working at all. No 'Service Engine' light, and the engine runs perfect and all fluid level's are fine. When you go from Reverse to Drive (or Overdrive) you can hear a *small* 'clunk' (it has done this since I bought it several months ago) and when you shift from Drive to Reverse you hear a louder 'clunk'. As I said, Reverse works perfect, but none of the forward gears will work at all.

I have been told that this means my transmission is shot, but I wanted to hear all of your opinions.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
80 Knight
80's Knight asked, "What time is it"?

Harryface replied, " Its transmission time" !

The symptoms I was expieriencing were similar to yours but there was no cluck noise in mine. When I'd go to take off from a light sometimes the engine would rev up and the car didn't move. Back off on the gas and usually the second or third try it would go.

It started out doing this about 3 times a month ( Nov ), then went up to maybe twice a week ( Dec ) over a two month period. While it was still runnable I brought it to the MAN one day in January.

My rebuild ( 2001 at 192,000 miles ) would of cost me about $1957.00, my cost was $1510.00 and that included one trans mount and one motor mount.

Because of 30 years of work our family has throw his way he knocked $447.00 off the bill.

He said something about the Sprag gears being worn, I guess there are three washers between them that also wear out.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,190 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

It seems like a lot of money, and it is, but it's also the equivalent of maybe 4 car payments on a mediocre vehicle. Considering that you haven't made a payment on the car since perhaps 1994 -- eleven years ago, or 121 months -- I suppose that's not bad at all.

Reply to
Robert Barr

R Barr,

I haven't made a payment since the day I picked up the vehicle, 14 years ago this Friday..

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,239 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

HF and I agree on this point, The ONLY money wise way to buy a new car is with real money.

Payments are for mortgages. GW

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh